• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lazer Beams lights

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used them a while back in a water tank mod that I did. They are really cool, but you have to becarefull about which type you get. Some shoot a solid beam, while other will show a pattern. I liked the solid beam, b/c it made all the water iluminate. I actually ended up crossing two solid beams (red and green) whoch ended up creating multiple colors. They are really neat. They run off DC voltage, so you can probably hook them up to your psu.

Laser diodes are VERY cheap now, you can get them at any flea market for $5 for a cheap red laser pointer. These can run on 5V from a modded molex connector as they normally use 4.5V and you can use up to 9V with no damage... any higher and they gradually fade and die.... I modded one once with a 6V lantern battery and mounted it on a tripod while it was snowing hard at my house.... If you went a short distance away, it could actually be seen for almost 3/4 of a mile... Then it hit the cloud cover :) These things are amazingly bright and cheap.... unfortunately the green ones are MUCH more expensive for a REAL diode with support circutry (almost $200). The ones you have seen advertised recently are actually TWO diodes (1 red, 1 blue) with a fancy focus gadget that makes them look green, so they only cost $100, mainly because blue laser diodes are expensive, but not as expensive as green...

ROFL.....

from website
All right, I think we all know that lighting isn't a very important thing when it comes to PC casing or whatever else this product might help you with,

lol....poor guy has no idea...heh. Probably explains the bad screenshot.

Someone post some GOOD screenies.....that looks like a real nice alternative to CCFLs....hmmm.....fog machine, cap + pot = strobe laser show! lol.....

edit:

cack, you sure they're the same ones? the manufacturer's website (www.flexiglowhk.com) lists them as super bright LEDs....

Last edited:
yah, those ones were just leds. but i think real laser diods would be pretty friggin sweet. if you had a bunch of em shooting back and forth in your case. specially if you could have so kind of fog, so it looks like a security system like in all the movies....

The only lasers that can actually be seen without fog (or snow :) ) are the ones I mentioned in that last post, the combo red+blue ones, otherwise you'll need a bright laser diode and a fog machine as mentioned above... But a cheap fog machine might cause a bit of condensation on the components as they use water to make their fog... Water+P4=BAD... A better fog machine that actually used pro smoke chemicals would be more expensive but better for your computer... Plus if you can see the exhaust fan then having smoke shooting out of your computer would look cool :)

DaveSauce said:

cack, you sure they're the same ones? the manufacturer's website (www.flexiglowhk.com) lists them as super bright LEDs....

Sorry about my late reasponse. Here is what I used http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...2=1043&c3=&ct1=D%E9cor&ct2=Laser+Systems&ct3=

I liked them alot, I felt different "swirl" type designs are good for case lighting, I just needed the solid beam though since I was dealing with water.

There are two types. The "hi-lite" and the regular. I can't remember which is which, but I think the hi-lite is the one with the swirl design.

Theyre interesting, but you have to watch out with anything designed to work under water. Often they will overheat when taken out of the water because they do not have adaquate heatsinking for operating in air.

Wolfe said:
Theyre interesting, but you have to watch out with anything designed to work under water. Often they will overheat when taken out of the water because they do not have adaquate heatsinking for operating in air.

Never thought of that, good point.

there are plenty of people in these forums that have water in their computers. The underwater lasers would look pretty cool inside of a clear res, and better yet, no fog machine needed.

Hey, im not sayiing dont do it, just be careful.

I know from experience. I had one of those underwater halogen lamps runnung in my room as lighting, and the plastic actually started melting before i noticed and turned it off. the thing is airtight, so it really heats up

Back