• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unix Or Windows server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeseMan

Me and my homie (mastametz) are gonna start our own website/domain thing. Obviously we gotta sign up for web hosting, and we are wondering if we should get a unix or windows server. Neither of our comps are on linux/unix or anything. So....ya

Well if you have signed for web hosting, it sounds like your website it going to be hosted on your webhost's servers. If that's the case, it doesn't matter what OS you have. You'll be using a FTP utility, Dreamweaver or something similar to upload your webpages anyway. I prefer using Unix, but for no particular reason.

some web hosts offer you either "windows - or - *nix", but I would go with Linux instead of windows :) may I suggest " http://www.akmdevelopment.com " very affordable :)

All hosting boxes are Intel P4 Powered, dual (mirrored) disk with 1G RAM. Thney no more then 35 - 45 Web sites on a box. This depends on the resource usage. They try to spread large and small sites on multiple boxes.

Lines are 5 Gigabit links to Internet through multiple providers plus 2 GigE, 1 OC3 and 1 DS3. VERY well connected!

For running your own I recommend Linux for security reasons. If you're going with someone else, doesn't really matter because if bad things happen, you've got someone else to blame.

I would recommend Unix or Linux, if you know it, or want to spend the time to learn it. It can be locked down alot more than windows.

Personally, I prefer Unix or Linux website host servers: they are generally a bit cheaper and more reliable.

One of the few reasons to go with Windows is if you are using the Frontpage Extensions for website functionality, but many Linux hosts can/will run the Frontpage Extensions for Linux- and from what I have heard they run better than the extensions for Windows.......imagine that ;)

Back