• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I will pay for music downloads - but i want .wav's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

Is there any service (like iTunes) that has all of the songs in .wav form. I don't want to pay a dollar for an mp3.

actually its a AAC file. supposedly better than mp3... but that remains to be seen.

i still wouldn't pay a dollar a track. you can buy the whole cd cheaper or the same price most times.

Just saw on CNet from Slashdot. Microsoft is going to offer a competing type service(of course). Cept, you pay a monthly fee, but get unlimited songs. They are yours to play as long as you pay the monthly fee. So lets assume $30 a month. To fill up your iPod or Nomad or whatnot, with MSFTs service it would be $30 a month(aka $360 a year) for as many songs as you can put on your portable player, or $7500 to fill up your iPod from Apple.

Microsoft has a winner here, probably.

William said:
They are yours to play as long as you pay the monthly fee.

What happens if I stop paying the monthly fee do they take them back, or disable the playing of them, after all accepting the latest Media Player EULA gives permission to Microsoft to delete copyright material from your system ?

They are yours to play as long as you pay the monthly fee

main point there......as long as you pay the monthly fee. With apple, you pay $1 per song and you KEEP It. Not only that, but you are LEGALLY ALLOWED TO burn it and share it across your home network.

Anyway, apple's service will be out for windows by the end of summer (I think, but at least before next year).

Timmy....WAVs are the actual song...the whole thing as recorded on the CD. MP3 is compressed.....normally compression into MP3 drops only what is not needed...but you still don't get 100% quality. I would prefer to have a WAV over an MP3....so I have 100% quality, and still the option to compress it.

And the whole point of paying a dollar a track is because people don't want the whole CD......or, at least....MAC people don't.....rofl. They just want the hits.....that's the biggest argument FOR filesharing. "fuhhh I don't want to buy the whole CD I just want one song fuh fuh" (I find it a pathetic argument, if you can't tell). The apple service is targeted at those people....

I think M$ is far too conservative when it comes to copyright laws to provide a competitive service with apple.

from cnet article
But Microsoft is betting that new security enhancements planned for later this year could make renting music, rather than owning it, more attractive to consumers.

I don't think so. Even if I got a better deal I still wouldn't want to rent music. And, I wouldn't want said "security enhancements" to be able to delete my files if I don't keep giving M$ money....

timmyqwest said:
whats wrong with MP3?

Its a copyright codec which was once given away free and is now being distributed with a different agenda in mind and in a different manner

Who ever controls the licence for the most popular codecs will eventually control how we get digital music delivered to us imho.. It does make me wonder that once the record companys have their cut of the profit, the codec licence holder has their cut of the profit, and the distributing services have their cut of the profit.. how much money is actually going to be left for the artist ?..

I seriously think that the consumer and the creatives musician need to look at open source codecs, rather than copyright codec which are free for a while to gain market acceptence and then controlled after this period...

Ogg Vorbis - Open, Free Audio

DaveSauce said:
And the whole point of paying a dollar a track is because people don't want the whole CD......or, at least....MAC people don't.....rofl. They just want the hits.....that's the biggest argument FOR filesharing. "fuhhh I don't want to buy the whole CD I just want one song fuh fuh" (I find it a pathetic argument, if you can't tell). The apple service is targeted at those people....
i am polar opposite to that. when i want music i want the WHOLE album.

This is MORONIC.

If I were to pay for music...i'd want the entire AUDIO format. Not some crappy bitrate compressed MP3....

I like buying the whole CD too.

When I hear a good song...I want to hear the rest of that bands good songs damnit!!!!!

Nevandal said:
This is MORONIC.

If I were to pay for music...i'd want the entire AUDIO format. Not some crappy bitrate compressed MP3....

There is audio compression that does not lose any sound quality... the extension is ape i believe. It compresses the song by about half. Actially that would make sense to be able to download an exact copy of the original digitial song. It might be more marketable, even though most of the world cant tell the difference between high quality mp3's and the original CD.

Back