• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL vs Cable vs Satellite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

I'm in Kansas City and am thinking about switching from SBC DSL to either cable (everest) or satellite (directv or the like). Any suggestion on which one to go with? I'll be using it mainly for gaming.

Thanks!

~A

Satellite and gaming DO NOT mix. If you have to switch from DSL (although I don't know why you would want to) then go to cable. You're looking at serious lag by using satellite.

Satellite stinks, but for those who have no chance of cable or DSL at least there is something....

Cable is good and dependable almost everywhere.
DSL is the tricky one :)
Some people get fantastic results, others do better with 56k!
I would check DSLReports (and any place else that tracks broadband reliability/quality stuff) for your area to help deside.
IF DSL around you is good you MAY be better off that way, if not- go cable :)

satellite=no b/c the signal travels 5 miles just to get to the isp (and most of that is thru air)

dsl=check www.dslreports.com for services in your area, ive got bellsouth dsl 1.5down 256up and im pleased w/ it so far (1 yr of service)

cable=only good if the connect between the isp and you is good, if you live in a big neighboorhood and everyone has cable and the pipe from our neighborhood and your isp is small, you will obviously get poor results

the main diff between cable and dsl is the way the connect to the isp, cable is a shared connection, with cable you share your connect with your neighboors, with dsl, you dont share your connect with your neighboors

also, back in the day, cable was very insecure, the way the network was set up was if two ppl on the same neighboord had file/print sharing enabled, someone could access another person's files/printers even if they were not on the same lan, i dont know if this problem has been fixed yet

dsl (becase it is not shared bandwidth) > cable (because it can be fast at times) > Satellite (because of the monster pings and long delay befor data will start to send back to your system) > 56 (kill your self, too damn slow for anything other then email(and then only if you dont get alot of spam or pics))

i've used both and i'm on cable now b/c they cut the dsl service in my area. from what i've seen cable is faster d/ling, but if you upload at the same time it kills your d/l speeds. never had that problem w/ dsl. so for gaming dsl is probably the way to go.

dsl is also more consistant, youll get stable pings throughout the game
with cable, youll get wacky pings because ppl will be getting on, getting off, uploading, dowloading, and doing port scans of everyone in the neighboorhood

For the most part, you will get much faster speeds with cable. Check with friends and neighbors to see how their connections are. Check on dslreports to find out customer satisfaction in your neck of the woods. If you have Roadrunner down there, chances are that you will get a pretty fast connection. I download anywhere between 260 and 400 k. You won't get anything close to that with dsl.

thats correct, the highest youll get w/ dsl is about 180kbps, but, if the hub in your neighboorhood is cr@ppy, then your sol

ahh guys, DSL and cable both have the same shared bandwith thingy, just cable is shared for your street (or neighborhood or whatever) and DSL is shared all the way for the local ISP office (whatever they call that) DSL companies just make ( or made) a big deal about the shared bandiwth thingy cause they could then get ppl to pay more for slower DSL that way, btw where i live i get 3Mbps/256Kbps for my cable $40 a month and it kicks major A$$, where as my stepfather's DSL (same place) is TERRIABLE! (earthlink, not like im nameing name or nothin ;) )

ptwearnhardtfan said:
I download anywhere between 260 and 400 k. You won't get anything close to that with dsl.

with 15kb/sec upload ? thought so :) or something aorund that area.. when you talk about "you =wont get anythign near that with DSL you must be refering to ADSL cuz its ones of the slowest, then there is HDSL and etc... you get what you pay for, if your willing to pay for a bit more as I am you can get with that max'es out the modem 8mb/sec down and 1mb/sec up.

DSL

it may be slower than cable, but it is very stable when compared to cable. Don't even consider satelite for gaming. Cable is good for gaming, but it really depends on the neighborhood. I've seen Cable neighborhoods run slower than 56k modem during peak hours, and I've seen others run 350kbytes/s+ at peak hours. I havn't seen any bad DSL providers yet, but I've been told they exist.

Our phone company here is upgrading their 1mbit lines. to 1500/320 for ADSL in a couple of weeks.

I have a 1mbit ADSL now and I'm getting around 1030/147 - very low ping times 24/7. Only cost about $20 USD / month unlimited bandwidth. I can't wait till their upgrade.

It all depends on where you are though, some people will have good cable connection and some better with DSL.

This is Canada btw.

Shook said:
Our phone company here is upgrading their 1mbit lines. to 1500/320 for ADSL in a couple of weeks.

I have a 1mbit ADSL now and I'm getting around 1030/147 - very low ping times 24/7. Only cost about $20 USD / month unlimited bandwidth. I can't wait till their upgrade.

It all depends on where you are though, some people will have good cable connection and some better with DSL.

This is Canada btw.

you know what sucked, right after I moved from Winnipeg they got some nice DSL for really cheap, but that back when cable wasnt capped :) so it was alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good then :)

ptwearnhardtfan said:
For the most part, you will get much faster speeds with cable. Check with friends and neighbors to see how their connections are. Check on dslreports to find out customer satisfaction in your neck of the woods. If you have Roadrunner down there, chances are that you will get a pretty fast connection. I download anywhere between 260 and 400 k. You won't get anything close to that with dsl.

I'm honestly suprised to see people this mislead about DSL. Sprint offers 3M/384k packages that will easily hit 700k down.

Kingslayer said:

I'm honestly suprised to see people this mislead about DSL. Sprint offers 3M/384k packages that will easily hit 700k down.

Sorry, but 3MB line will only result in 375kb download rate max.

Back