• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweak my Air Cooling Setup Plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southpaw

Hi All,
I just put in my XP1700 DUT3C and have started overclocking it (10 X 166 to start) I am going to list what I have as my current air cooled system and see if you might be able to give me some tweaking tips. (I want to stay with air cooling)

System:
XP1700+ @ 10 X 166(XP2000)(will go higher later)
AX7,Ceramique paste w/ Adda Fan (31.4CFM/28Db)
ANtec SX830 Case
Antec SL400 (dual fan-80mm variable output)
1 80MM Panaflo L1A bottom input
1 80MM Panaflo L1A output (below power supply)

Warmest Ambient Temp: 25.5C
Warmest Case Temp: 34C (Delta Ambient-Case=8.5C):mad:
Warmest CPU Idle Temp: 39C (Delta Case-CPU=5C)
Warmest CPU Load Temp: 45C

Observations:
Does 5C delta between ambient and CPU look ok for now?
Would something like a TT SmartFan2 do better on the CPU?
My Ambient-Case delta looks to be the problem??

I keep a clean computer so airflow interference by cables is nil
I am a noise freak as well...thus the Panaflos
I have room for another input 80MM and output 80MM
Would I be better served by putting another Panaflo at the bottom front or as a side intake??

TIA
Southpaw

First, that case temp isnt your case temp, its the system temp, or motherboard temp, so its not that bad.

a SF2 would be better on the heatsink yeh, but that ambient temp is pretty high.
Your temps seem fine for that ambient temperature, but the smar fan on full might drop it 3 or 4c.
And those low output panaflows would be better with some medium flow ones, like the one on your cpu 'sink.
As for the new intake, your best bet is to put it just offset of where the cpu fan sits in your case, so that it gets a fresh supply of your ambient air. that might take off a couple of degrees too.

Cheesy,
unfortunately I live in Alabama and it gets warm....also, my office is the warmest part of the house...As soon as my A/C unit breaks, I will be getting a new one that can handle the size of my house better and keep my office to around 22C

Until then, a variable CPU fan might be in order...Does the TT SF2 come with a large knob for adjusting the pot or just a screwdriver tweakble one??

thx
SP

it uses a small screwdriver one, but comes with a thermal probe so it automatically adjusts to your cpu temperature. But the self adjusted mode is probably the best.

I'm not sure what the TT SF2 comes with because I don't have one....

But- a few more ideas that may help:

blowhole in top of case- often the heat that gets up top has a hard time getting out (psu exhausts are usually not strong enough)

Side intake- good idea and an improvement may be to duct the side intake to the cpu, or partially duct it: leaving a few inches of clearance between the duct and the HSF gets some folks better results overall.

Keeping airflow close to balanced is usually best, so if you add a side intake of some type, adding a similarly rated exhaust will probably work best. Not always though!

Use of cardboard for temporary panels while experimenting makes it much easier to find the best fan placement and end up with a clean case.

Airflow control is just as important as total cfm: if all the intake air goes from the intakes straight to the exhaust it may do little to really cool off the components; finding the hotspots and getting airflow there is tough but helps get a pc running cool AND quiet.

the smart fan is easly adustable with you fingers
it has a slot for a screwdriver but you dont need to use one

there very good fans ive had alot of sucess with mine

System:
XP2500+ (building it all 2night) 2100xp atm
AX7,delta SHE 80mm with 7v mod (12v was too much)
Full tower 10 bay (unkown make)

2 80MM Evergreen bottom input
2 80MM Evergreen (above power supply)
1 120MM Sunyon SideExhaust (over Hs/f)
Warmest Ambient Temp: 25.C
Warmest Case Temp: 37C
Warmest CPU Idle Temp: 41C (carnt remember exact)
Warmest CPU Load Temp: 49C
Room Temp: 25.0c

Seems warm to me...still
Having done a ton of research on airflows etc here the changes im making tonight (new nf7-s mobo and barton 2500+)

XP2500+ (building it all 2night) 2100xp atm
AX7, Thermaltake Smart fan 2 on Auto mode with sensor on H/s

1 80MM Delta Middle Exhaust (still want to use it!!)
2 80MM Evergreen bottom input
2 80MM Evergreen (above power supply)
1 120MM Sunyon SideExhaust (over Hs/f)

Will post temps etc later on tonight!!

Of all the bumpf ive giveen here one thing i have learned.. air will always find a way in the case, but the trick is getting the hot air out!! Tis no good stirring the same warm air around your case.
The 120mm low rpm side exhaust was the best purchase i made and due to low rpm is almost slient.

I currently only have 1 input and 2 output fans
I think this is call negative pressure...

I was thinking of adding 1 more fan....to the side panel...a little below where the CPU sits

I want something quiet and I guess I am not restricted to an 80mm fan...Any opinions on a quiet 92mm or 120mm???

SP

Your cpu temp really isn't THAT bad considering you're only using a 31cfm fan.

With my AX-7 and a 40cfm fan, and with system temps of around 32C, my cpu was around 47-50C. (i had it overclocked a bit more, but still)

btw, in the above setup, when I changed to a Sunon Torando(84cfm), temps dropped a bunch, so I'm willing to bet your temps are b/c of the fan on your ax-7. Also, if things are stable, there's nothing to worry about(unless you want to OC more)

ipppe,
1 input and 1 output on that setup??? loooks like it would impede airflow for the rest of the system....

jlin,
I do want to overclock more...I want at least 2Ghz at a reasonable temp/noise...

I am thinking that a side fan would not only put a positive pressure to my case, but give both the vid card and cpu cooler air to run off of...I am thinking if I drop the input air to the CPU by 5C, then I should realize at least a 3C drop on the CPU??

I like to use the delta temps to go by. Is 5C a good delta from case temp to CPU temp?? I know 8.5C is not a good delta between case and ambient...

SP

its hard to get a lot of air moving at a quiet level using 80mm fans. Try using 120mm fans where you can. I never could find an acceptable noise level that allowed for a good overclock, so I went watercooling.

Is watercooling out of the question?

wait, have you tried overclocking more with your current setup? If 2ghz is your goal, you should be able to do it with those temps.

Yes...

The idea of my construction wasnt to get the lowest temp...

If i wanted that i would have purchased watercooling... But i bought 2 very cheap 80mm fans and attached some aluminiumpipe to em and pointed them directly at my cpu...

Very cheap, very silent, very effective...

The reason i use fans at all is that im going to overclock as much as i can when i get my setup ready... Currently I'm at 10x209 because its rock stable and i havent played with my steppings yet. But i have posted at 2.4 ghz... But windows xp wont boot then... Any clue on that one ?

Re: Yes...

ipppe said:

The reason i use fans at all is that im going to overclock as much as i can when i get my setup ready... Currently I'm at 10x209 because its rock stable and i havent played with my steppings yet. But i have posted at 2.4 ghz... But windows xp wont boot then... Any clue on that one ?

Just b/c it posts doesn't mean its stable :D

at 185fsb, i'm stable. At 187, I'm not....lol :D

They are two 80mm fans input air... No problems with system temp...

And about the post... I'm currently at 209 fsb... rock stable... But That is not the issue... The issue has been so far that i cant boot windows above 2.3 ghz... Why ? Any clues ?? posting isn't an issue...

ipppe said:
They are two 80mm fans input air... No problems with system temp...

And about the post... I'm currently at 209 fsb... rock stable... But That is not the issue... The issue has been so far that i cant boot windows above 2.3 ghz... Why ? Any clues ?? posting isn't an issue...

As i said earlier, just becuase you can post at a certain speed does not mean its stable. Stable means it can get past posting, loading windows, and running whatever tests you want to perform.

I think you missunderstand me... At 209 i post, i boot winxp, i run whatever i want, stable...

So here goes again... The fsb isnt the issue... The problem is when i hit 2.3 ghz or higher on whatever fsb... Then I can only post... Not load winxp...

2090mhz @ 209x10 = stable

Above 2.3 ghz = Wont load winxp...

So I hope I made it clear now and I hope yoy maybe can help me... Why doesnt Winxp load... Is it memory issues or cpu... Or what ?? Im out of options...

=)

ipppe said:
I think you missunderstand me... At 209 i post, i boot winxp, i run whatever i want, stable...

So here goes again... The fsb isnt the issue... The problem is when i hit 2.3 ghz or higher on whatever fsb... Then I can only post... Not load winxp...

2090mhz @ 209x10 = stable

Above 2.3 ghz = Wont load winxp...

So I hope I made it clear now and I hope yoy maybe can help me... Why doesnt Winxp load... Is it memory issues or cpu... Or what ?? Im out of options...

=)

yes, i understood what you said the first time

Just b/c you're stable at 209x10 does not mean you will be stable at 209x11 or 11.5 or 12, etc. It's not all what your fsb is, but the overall clock speed too.

Thats what i meant... So you have any sollutions on how to get a stable system over 2.3 ghz ?? Do I need a volt mod perhaps ?? 1.85 is my highest now...

it all depends on your chip. Some of the barton's can get to 2.3ghz, others can't. All chips aren't created equal. You COULD increase your vcore. I was stuck at 2.15ghz with vcore at 1.85V. When I finally increased vcore to 2V, I was able to get 2.31ghz stable.

...just watch those temps.

Back