• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k 4.8ghz air-cooled, temps high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rolliejoe

Hi, I'm running an i7-6700k OC'ed to 4.8ghz at 1.35-1.36v (1.35 stable, but set to 1.36 adaptive) with hyperthreading on. From what I've read online this is a quite good voltage to be at for a 4.8ghz OC, but I have a question about my temps.

Under Realbench stress testing and using HWMonitor, I'm bumping right up against 80C max with hyperthreading on (<70C max with it off, huge difference). Now under normal loads like gaming, etc. I'm not getting to 80C so I'm not terribly worried about the max temp, but from what I've seen online, 80C max temp under load seems maybe unusually high for a 1.36v.

Ambient temp in the room is low, around 22-24C and at idle my cores are sitting right at this, basically <1C off ambient. I'm using a full tower case with 4x 120mm intake fans (front, bottom) a 140mm exhaust (rear) and a 200mm exhaust (top). My CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 with 2x 140mm fans exhausting towards top.

My question is, with my cooling setup and at 1.36v, should I be reaching 80C under stress testing or is that too high? This website (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/overclocking-intel-core-i7-6700k/) used a significantly lower tier cooling setup than me, higher ambient temperatures, and a MUCH higher voltage, and says temps didn't go above 68C. I don't know if that's because the setup was different (he had no hot video card blowing hot air into the case while I do + I don't know if he had hyperthreading on + I don't know if his stress testing software puts as much load as realbench etc.) or because there's something wrong with me setup.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Every chip is different my friend. We typically don't use real bench here, but stress test programs so it will be tough to compare. They do typically run warmer though. Keep the cpu under 90c. ;)

Perhaps try to remount and paste your cooler if you believe it's high. Make sure you had a good spread on the paste.

I don't like over 80C for a 24/7 set up, but your fine

if you think it should be better try resetting your cooler,

Agree with Witchdoctor.

You will need some headroom too. Your ambient is 22-24C now...in the summer months it may pop up 5 or 10 C. When cooling on Air, the ambient increase adds to your max CPU temp 1 for 1.

Back