• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would you set it up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well I would use the fastest drive for the mastor, and put the other two on a RAID card or on the motherboard RAID adapter if there is one. and keep the CD drives on the regular IDE. which drive has the lowest seek time?

Run the WD 120SE as your C: drive, with your OS and your games on it. Use the other two to store your non-performance apps (like word processing) and your media files.

BHD

do you really use 220gb's? If you do i agree with bald..also put your swap files on the other 2 drives, don't use a swap file on your OS drive.

Right now the 120G is by itself on IDE1 and the other is on IDE2. I have a lot of mp3, mpeg, dvi, etc...

Would I see an increase in performance if I get the Seriell2 for the WD 120G? Or just get another WD120G nad have it setup as RAID0?

By the way, the Seriell2 is for one HD right? So if I get another WD 120G, I would have to get 2 Seriell2 right?

twenty

twenty6 said:
Right now the 120G is by itself on IDE1 and the other is on IDE2. I have a lot of mp3, mpeg, dvi, etc...

Would I see an increase in performance if I get the Seriell2 for the WD 120G? Or just get another WD120G nad have it setup as RAID0?

By the way, the Seriell2 is for one HD right? So if I get another WD 120G, I would have to get 2 Seriell2 right?

twenty

Using a sata adaptor will give you no boost... the HDD will still be running ata100, and the mechanics of the drive are still the limiting factor.

If you stripe 2 HDDs, you'll get a boost in throughput, but your seek times will still be about the same. Also, yes, you'll need 2 separate adaptors.

Back