• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jenova

hey ppls
i am new to ram overclocking
and i just got a few questions
[1] what does it do
[2] how do u do it
[3] can it cause damage
[4] can i do it ??

Seeing as how you hae an Athlon 1000 in your sig at 1100,
you're probably overclocking some memory already.

Jenova said:
hey ppls
i am new to ram overclocking
and i just got a few questions
[1] what does it do
[2] how do u do it
[3] can it cause damage
[4] can i do it ??

1) Overclocking the RAM runs the memory at a faster bus speed than default, just like running the CPU clock speed at a faster than default speed.

2) Done in the BIOS. If you have a mem ratio of 1:1 and if you overclock your system, then you're overclocking the memory too. Lots of the newer mobos have different mem ratios nowadays. If you are at default CPU speed, but use the 3:4 mem ratio, then you're overclocking the RAM.

3) Overclocking is never without a potential for damage, but as long as you don't overvolt the RAM or go to other extremes, the risk of damage is almost non-existent.

4) You need a mobo that allows overclocking and memory adjustments. Changing the RAM timings to more aggressive settings than default is another part of overclocking the RAM too.

I'm wondering the same thing. If you overclock your RAM, but not your FSB, then the FSB becomes the potential bottleneck, correct? So although your RAM might be able to handle information faster, it still can only send it at the FSB speed, right?

Back