• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

more Gentoo problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I can't ping anything outside my router. I can ping myself and my router, but anything else (name or IP) returns a "network unreachable" error. I think I was able to do this before letting Gentoo nuke my config files :rolleyes: , but I don't know what changes to make.

Could be a resolv.conf problem; is the /etc/resolv.conf file empty??
Otherwise... I'm no expert, but I know a had to type a route command to get my ethernet card to work; I'll dig that up if it's not a resolv.conf problem :)

If you can only ping your local LAN and nothing else it´s most probably your default route which is not set. check with /sbin/route

Thanks klingens. I'll take a stab at that as soon as I get a chance. Are the changes I make through route persistant or is there some config file I need to edit?
I forgot to mention that I copied my resolv.conf from Debian.

A couple of more things. The command netstat -nr will show you the routing table, so you can check quickly to see if it sees your gateway.

And I believe that using the route command will add the gateway to the /etc/networks file, but if not you could edit it by hand to look something like this:

localnet gateway ip address

And as long as DNS ip addresses in resolv.conf point to vaild DNS servers, then once the route is established it should be able to resolve nemonic names with out a problem.

EDIT: After checking on my laptop, I found a couple of more things. In the /etc/networks file the it won't be the gateway ip address but the network number, which is the subnet that the network is on, ie. 10.10.160.0, or 192.168.0.0. That will tell you box what network is sits on.

And then is the actual command to add the gateway to route.
/sbin/route add default gw (gw ip address) You can also add a line in the /etc/hosts file so you don't have to type the ip address.

The should be a network init script that will start all of this stuff on boot, you my might want to check on that.

Last edited:
It worked, and I'm posting this from Gentoo. I'm not ready to call it home yet, but I'm much closer.
BTW, can I copy my ut2003 dir and subdirs directly to my Gentoo partition (or even symlink)? I spent a boatload of time getting it set up, updated, maps added, etc, and I don't want to do that twice.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, unlike the windows version you don't have to mess with any registry changes or the like, I've done it in the past and haven't run into any problems yet. Just make sure you have either the binary or a simlink to the binary in your search path.

Last edited:
Back