• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED Wiring Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gecko

Registered
Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm at work and can't really scour the forum for the answer (limited time and whatnot).

I am adding a few fans with led's in them, but ran our of led plugs on the motherboard.

Is there really a problem with hooking up more than one set of leds to each socket on the motherboard? LED's only draw a total of what? 1mA, surely the MB would be able to handle that.

Otherwise, would a simple setup with a resister wired parallel with the led leads coming off the 5v of the powersupply work? If so, what value resister should I use (i'm far to lazy to try to remember my days of ohm's law :D )? I have no problem soldering if thats what it takes, just don't want to wreck anything.

Thanks again,
Pete

Edit: sorry, thought I should add... its an Asus A7V8X-X with audio and lan. xp2400, 512mb ram, 350 watt p/s with 200w combined output. 2 led fans & volcano9 w/coolmod, and I would like to have the power and hdd leds on the case work too.

Shouldnt be a problem using one head for more than one LED. some fans draw alot of power from headers than others, such as this the headers can handle variations of current/votlage etc.... An LED is going to use a very small quantity of power anyway so it shouldnt matter. the only concern I would have is whetehr or not it may be damaging if a n LED was to blow and have others running from the same head?:(
DoM

Ok... so I can connect two leds to the power led and the hdd led headers then, cool! I'll just make sure to keep an eye out to make sure they don't blow.
The others I think I'll just make a switch pad and run it off the p/s.

One last question... would 500ohm pots work for controlling fan speed? I've got a couple 250 and a few 500 ohm from working on my guitar that I was thinking of using...
Thanks though,
-Pete

Back