• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lin Lin Adapter for Tualatin to Coppermin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scottie

I recently got a Celeron 1.0A (Tualatin) and a Chinese Lin Lin adapter to run it in my ABit VH6II mobo--via apollo 133 pro.

None of the jumper settings on the thing work for me--neither the Intel chipset setting nor the Via chipset setting.

Does anyone have any experience with this adapter?
The instructions stink. Does anyone know of other jumper settings?

The chip and the adapter are in my Abit BX6 rev2 mobo working OK. So I know both things do working.

Thanks for the help.

You could try resetting the BIOS when you put the new CPU in, but I don't know if that would work, but my best guess is that the adapter just isn't compatible with the VH6II. Of course, I don't have that adapter so there might be a trick I'm not aware of, but that's what it sounds like to me.

I have tried that even though this is a jumperless board and it is supposed to recognize, or at least reset the FSB/clock settings, etc, when there's a new cpu put in.

Here's something interesting though. I was monkeying around trying all kinds of different jumper settings on this adapter. I was not putting the heat sink on so I could more quickly make the changes knowing that if the thing every started to boot I could shut it off and put the heat sink on.

Well, when I was thoroughly discouraged I put my coppermine PIII back in, again without the heat sink, cause I was just checking to make sure the mobo wasn't wacked. Well, it wouldn't boot either. I had to have the heat sink attached, not plugged in, for the computer to boot.

I took the heat sink off, no boot. Put the heat sink on--boot. There's no way that in the second or two it takes for the computer power to start the computer boot that the cpu would over heat without a heat sink.

Has anyone heard of a metal detector or some other kind of sensor around where the heat sink fits on the socket to allow the computer to work??????? This has thrown me for a loop. It's a 370 socket mobo, and if I put an adapter in the socket, at least this brand of adapter, the heat sink connects to it, not the mobo socket. If there is such a sensor, this might cause it not work with the adapter installed.

Maybe I've been in the dark all this time, but this really sounds strange.

Any thoughts??

Well, I don't know about a metal detector but I do know it isn't a good thing to be running without at least a heatsink for any period of time. Is it fine if the heatsink is on? If so, then I would think it's just due to the lack of heat dissipation on the CPU.

Sounds like a bad connection. Run it with the HS on it then:D

Jazztrumpet. The cel-t has a IHS. It protects the chip from sudden death in the event of a HS not being attached. Running the CPU for a few seconds without the HS on it will not hurt it one bit. I have done it many a time.

I was running the chip without heatsink only long enough to get a beep or not from a boot--not more than a few seconds. That's not enough to hurt it.
Still can't figure why my old PIII boots only with a hs physically attached.
I'm still puzzled by my inability to get the Cel-t working on my VH6II with the adapter. Unfortunately, the instructions for the adapter's jumpers suck bad. I did follow the thread about the tualitin mods--thanks for all your post, Ol'man. I tried the mods but was unsuccessful. So, I'm stuck with the cheap adapter. If all else fails I might purchase the more pricey one from Upgradewear...

Thanks, Ol' Man. I had seen this site earlier. The jumper settings they actually talk about on the Lin Lin are the basic ones for an Intel chipset. When I use a generic slot 1 to 370 converter on my ABit BX6rev2 board--Intel 440BX chipset--and then attach the Lin Lin, it works fine. (My BIOS won't stay set each time I reboot, but I will make that dog hunt another time.)

My problem is getting it to work in my via chipset. This board supports the 1/4 PCI and 1/2 AGP adjustments for the 133FSB.

I just ordered the Upgradeware 370GU from Stratton computer. Upgradeware's compatibility list lists my mobo, the Abit VH6II, as compatible. So, hopefully this will do the trick on my mobo. This adapter is still cheaper than the powerleaps.

Scottie said:
Thanks, Ol' Man. I had seen this site earlier. The jumper settings they actually talk about on the Lin Lin are the basic ones for an Intel chipset. When I use a generic slot 1 to 370 converter on my ABit BX6rev2 board--Intel 440BX chipset--and then attach the Lin Lin, it works fine. (My BIOS won't stay set each time I reboot, but I will make that dog hunt another time.)

My problem is getting it to work in my via chipset. This board supports the 1/4 PCI and 1/2 AGP adjustments for the 133FSB.

I just ordered the Upgradeware 370GU from Stratton computer. Upgradeware's compatibility list lists my mobo, the Abit VH6II, as compatible. So, hopefully this will do the trick on my mobo. This adapter is still cheaper than the powerleaps.
Yeah the LIN-LIN is very inexpensive. What around $7~$10? I have a old 810e mATX mobo I want to put a 1.4 cel-t in. For this the LIN-LIN should work great apparently. The 1.4's are very inexpensive now too. Pretty decent upgrade from a 500MHz celeron.

The older P3's that don't have an IHS will overheat in a fraction of second with nothing to cool the core. The very instant power is applied to the cpu it will detect a run-away thermal situation and power off. That's why it works with the heatsink on, but not off. There's definitely not a metal detector in the socket.

Back