• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integrated Network Adapter will not start on cold startup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, so you had this same problem with earlier bios versions. There goes that suggestion.

Concerning the ACPI interface and it's interaction, if any with the network adapter I cannot help there.

But one thing I don't get is whey you just don't bypass the issue and install some kind of add on NIC? You've spent a lot of time and energy on this nagging problem already. Nuf is enough. It may be some kind of qirky hardware problem that only a new motherboard or an add on NIC device will fix.

Last edited:
Yea something is for sure out of whack in my opinion and is beyond the realms of software unless i'm missing something. I'm at a loss on what's going on in a technical way but something obviously went bad causing you this grief. From the research i've done that NIC you have is basically junk, not to sound insulting or anything. That's just what i see when i dig deep into this. Sorry i could not be of more help. It really bums me when i can't figure something out. hehe NIC=:mad:

Okay, so you had this same problem with earlier bios versions. There goes that suggestion.

Concerning the ACPI interface and it's interaction, if any with the network adapter I cannot help there.

But one thing I don't get is whey you just don't bypass the issue and install some kind of add on NIC? You've spent a lot of time and energy on this nagging problem already. Nuf is enough. It may be some kind of qirky hardware problem that only a new motherboard or an add on NIC device will fix.

Why? Because like Juggley said, I'm OCD. I know I will eventually have to go out and buy a new one, but I like learning the "Why's" of problems and trying to fix them myself. I actually learned a lot this week from trying to fix this issue, so I guess it depends on what knowledge is worth to each person. But yeh, you're right, a new Nic is inevitable.

Hey Juggley, I guess it's not insulting because I've read your same comment on so many other forums with people with the same problem. So I will reply with what one gentleman said " It can't really be junk if it still works." I guess he meant that he doesn't believe its the adapter, because once it gets started, it works fine. I actually have this problem posted on the Intel motherboards forum and Tom's Hardware.

Have you considered the possibility that adding in a NIC might actually help you dx the problem? If it behave the same way with say, a PCI-e add in NIC then that tells you the onboard NIC itself is not the prooblem but something else such as a common bus they share or a bios/UEFI problem?

Last edited:
I have the same problem.
I have tracked it down to Temperature.
Works fine in the summer or when mother board has warmed up.
My fix is to start the PC and then have my breakfast, and fifteen minutes later all connected.
A fan heater can speed up the process.
Baz

Usually temp related problems work the other direction so that's different. Maybe the pc just needs a cup of hot coffee when you have breakfast.

It almost makes me think, regarding the warm up issue, is that perhaps a microscopic crack in a solder join MB->NIC may close when the solder warms up. ???

I found my problem.

I have the same problem.
I have tracked it down to Temperature.
Works fine in the summer or when mother board has warmed up.
My fix is to start the PC and then have my breakfast, and fifteen minutes later all connected.
A fan heater can speed up the process.
Baz

- - - Updated - - -

It turned out to be a faulty LAN Hub.
New one from Amazon for £8.
Daily Stress GONE.

Install win7 64 and try that. Your processor is full 64bit. 32bit os's are for actually older hardware which you really don't have.

@RALPH50 have you ever found a fix for this problem ? I have the same problem and I have tried everything but i can't find a solution !!

Hey guys, I need your help.

I have been trying to fix this problem for 3 days now with no success.

Symptoms: On COLD STARTUP during BIOS POST initializing, network adapter will not turn on, no green light. After boot, device manager shows correct name of adapter Intel 82579V (FYI integrated) with yellow marking. The driver is loaded but has not started as indicated in the System information. If I reboot or disable the driver and then enable it, the network adapter will then turn on. Subsequent boots will keep the adapter working, but if I shutdown the PC completely and then restart, then the network adapter will be turned off. When I startup the PC with the power off (cold start S5 soft-off state), the network adapter will not start and when I check the adapter's properties-details-power data, the current power state will be D3, which means no power provided.

What I have tried:

1. Installed latest driver, resulted in same problem.

2. Installed the Intel NVRAM update to correct the chipset name of the adapter 82579V from 82579LM, resulted in same problem.

3. Installed a new CMOS battery, resulted in same problem.

4. Defaulted BIOS settings, resulted in same problem.

5. Jumped the BIOS pins and reset with full power cycle, resulted in same problem.

6. Jumped the Intel ME Engine pins and reset, resulted in same problem.

7. Basic checks: Reseated all cables. Checked the integrated adapter, no visual problems. Motherboard is less than 1 year old. Capacitors look fine.

8. Re-installed Windows, resulted in same problem.

9. Checked the network adapter WITHOUT Windows installed, resulted in same problem. Cold start, no power, but if you reboot from BIOS again, the adapter will turn on.

10. Tested with different Power Supply, resulted in same problem.

11. Oh yeh, unchecked all the power saving features under power management for network device, resulted in same problem.

12. Check BIOS LAN was enabled, resulted in same problem.

Now here's where I need your help. I already did all of the above. The key check that I made is that WITHOUT the Windows and drivers installed, the problem still occurs, adapter does not start on cold startup, but if you reboot with just the BIOS installed, the green light will come on indicating the adapter now has power. That would indicate a problem in the BIOS POST not starting the adapter from a soft-off state or a mechanical off state.

Note: A related problem that occurred at the same time that this network adapter issue occurred is that if I shutdown the PC and then I shut off the surge protector that the PC is connected to, or if I just remove the plug from the PC, then I cannot restart the PC with the power button switch. Even with the new CMOS battery in, if I go from no power (G3 Mechanical Off), to plugging back in and starting the PC, it will not turn on. If I remove the battery while the PC is still plugged in, it still will not start. It will only start if I disconnect the power (Mechanical Off) and then remove the battery and then plug back in, and then hit the power button, then the PC will start.

It seems like there is a conflict within the BIOS and motherboard. Anyone have any suggestions?

My Specs:

Windows 7 32bit
DH61CR Motherboard (integrated Network adapter 82579V)
I5-2500 CPU
No additional PCI cards
Corsair PSU VS650
All Drivers are up-to date.
All Windows Updates installed.
Latest BIOS installed.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

I know thread is old but for the record to assist others I thought it important.

Currently I have the exact same issue with one of my computers, and I have tried everything OP has tried plus + more.
I decided to test everything on a linux installation and it works perfectly, so it must be related to the windows operating system specifically, what that relation is, I don't know as I have tried fresh (64bit) windows 7 installs without any success, but the fact that linux can utilize the hardware without problem suggests that its not the hardware? or is it? lol

Not the OS as OP says the NIC is not initialized during post. So not even in Windows yet.

Hi!

I have a same problem with an integrated intel network adapter, and i noticed something:
when I started the system at cold startup in the devicemanager the adapter type is intel 82579LM (error message: the device not exists), but
when I restard the system int the devicemanager the adapter type is intel 82579V (it's work fine)
I think the system is try to loading a wrong driver for the adapter, but i don't know why...

Do you have any idea?

Thanks
Rob

Back