• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i guarantee this was discussed before however...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightywpm

Registered
i'm pretty new to this forum and i would like to know what you people prefer as the faster hard drive scsi or sata's..and if the rpm are the same does it really matter?.. I remember somone saying something about being closer to cpu creates a shorter distance bridge..blah blah...then i slept..so which is it..scsi's or sata's

The latency in the drive will far exceed any latency in the bus or controller. As for the speed difference, it depends on which drives are compared. Generally, seek and access times are slightly lower for the 10K SCSI than the 10K SATA drives, but not greatly noticeable in the real world. SATA is much cheaper than SCSI, especially when considering RAID options. SCSI has some other benefits in it's protocols. As far as sheer speed, a pair(or more) of 15K SCSI in RAID-0 on a good controller on at least a 64/66 PCI bus will probably be as fast as you'll be able to get at home, but you'll be broke and in debt. Personally, I prefer SCSI, but for most people SATA will be more than fast enough.

Back