• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

250mhz (1000mhz) FSB... anyone done it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryangs

Registered
I'm looking into building a new P4 system, and the difference in the whole overclocking setup, especially the FSB from my current Athlon system is intriuging. What I'm wondering is if anyone is running their P4 with a 250mhz/1000mhz FSB. If so, how hard was it to achieve that speed? What motherboard, RAM, and processor are you using?

Edit: Oops. I meant to post this in the main Intel mobo forum. If a mod could move it, that'd be great.

Last edited:
ryangs said:
I'm looking into building a new P4 system, and the difference in the whole overclocking setup, especially the FSB from my current Athlon system is intriuging. What I'm wondering is if anyone is running their P4 with a 250mhz/1000mhz FSB. If so, how hard was it to achieve that speed? What motherboard, RAM, and processor are you using?

Edit: Oops. I meant to post this in the main Intel mobo forum. If a mod could move it, that'd be great.

Yes I am and at 1:1, many others have done the same although most using the 5:4 ratio.......

250 FSB is pretty easy nowadays with the new 800 bus P-4's. My 2.8C does 250 FSB and my 2.4C does 275 FSB. I've heard of a few peeps hitting 300 FSB with the 2.4C. The Abit IC7 and the Asus P4C800 are the two best mobos in my opinion. Get the best and the fastest RAM you can afford.

Yep, i think 250 is pretty much a walk in the park with the p4c's. My 2.4 is sitting at 250fsb bus right now, making it 3ghz :D
gonna try and up it some more over the next few days, have had it up to 275, but i need to play with the voltage and ram to get it stable yet...

batboy said:
Get the best and the fastest RAM you can afford.

That's pretty much the issue at this point, since it looks like the processors and motherboards have no problem with it. I want to go for a gig of RAM. I see slaught's managed it with PC3200, batboy with PC3500. I could get a gig of Mushkin PC3500 (2.5-4-4) for $260 or PC3200 (2-2-2) for $270. What do you guys recommend?

If your goal is 250 FSB and you have no desire to go any higher, than PC3200 will work fine using 5:4 mem ratio, in fact, that will give you exactly DDR400 which is what PC3200 is rated for. But, like Mr. Guv says, the PC3500 will give you more head room. It will allow more of an overclock and you can use more aggressive RAM timings. I was able to run 275 FSB using the 5:4 mem ratio with OCZ PC3500 and my 2.4C CPU. You can go up to 300 FSB with PC3200 if you use the 3:2 ratio (assuming your mobo and CPU are exceptional and will go that high). Mushkin is great RAM and I've seen very favorable reviews on Mushkin, but there are other options that might be a little cheaper that will probably work just as well, like Corsair XMS, Kingston HyperX, OCZ, TwinMOS, etc. Buffalo RAM seems to be about the cheapest brand that does well. It won't run tight RAM timings, but it overclocks very nicely using loose settings and is much cheaper. But, get the Winbond chips and the 6 layer PCB Buffalo RAM if you go that route.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=20-150-537

Last edited:
Back