• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My friends PC doesnt boot... need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kino

ok he just walked to me awhile ago and asked if i could check his pc cause it didnt boot
he says he just turns it on and the HDD LED stays on the whole time but it doesnt go further than that
anyone know what could be causing it?

well i frankly dont know... its a pc from around 1999, pentium 2 or celeron i think, his floppy drive is screwed, 256MB SDRAM 10 GB HDD
no idea what mobo tho....

i was just thinking resseting the BIOS (or was it CMOS?) by takin the battery out (i preety much douby he has kept his mobo manual, and i dont wanna play trial & error on his pc) and seeing what i can get after that..
this sounds right?

Uhm...I'm just wondering (not trying to sound anal) but what relevance does this have to the Technical Discussion?

But ya, try resetting the CMOS, that usually solves some problems (like if it was at a too high setting, or if there was a voltage problem.) But ask your friend what happened before the "death". Becuase a cpu or mobo or ram may have been killed by the occurance.

got back from him awhile ago.... he says before the disaster what happened was a power outage
i guess if he was lucky, the PSU had broken and it wasnt his day, his whole mobo got fried.... am i right?

His harddrive might be dead, I have an old 2 gig drive that after a PSU blew it would just spin up click twice, solid on LED and freeze on POST when drives are being detected.
I say unplug the drive and see what happens, might wanna put in a boot floppy to see if it'll boot.

Back