• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct die

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeezecat

im seriously cosider goin water cooled vry soon, i can barley stand my tornado any more

Are there any direct die kits that u nowof. I would think with the ihs on pentium4 whay even have a water block??

Mikeonatrike said:
lol, id like to see someone carve fins into their ihs then direct die it hahaha.

I've considered this. Was going to use cutoff wheel on my RTX & cut grooves into it, then seal that tiny hole & D.D.

Yeah, I'm looking at a ruler right now and 1/16" looks fairly accurate for the inner thickness of the IHS, and about 3/32" for the outer thickness.

Sounds too tricky to cut any kind of groove into, but what about little dips with the end of a drill bit and trying some kind of Cascade-style impingement? Damn, I wish I had a P4 to try that :D

You could use a thin mini-saw or a dremel to cut small channels into it. It could actually work pretty well. I wish I had a spare P4!

-------------
McWarren: "Michael Bolton? Wow! Is that your real name?!" :D

I think that direct on IHS watercooling will suck. I bet that the IHS is optimized for serious compression, and without that pressure the TIM inside will remain pretty thick. The way to go is to remove IHS and go for the core, just like direct on die Athlons.

It would be cool to test a direct on P4 core chilled water...

I'm pretty sure that with the right kind of design, you could get the right kind of clamping pressure. I'm certainly intrigued, but I don't have a P4 system, so there's no point in me trying anything.

instead of carving in groes why not use some marine grade adhesive and attach some kind of turbulators on top of the ihs. its thin enough

also what is the official thckness of the ihs, you coul drill very shallow very small holes right above the chip, It would act like fillind a glass of water lots of turbulance

Back