• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Linux boots to xwindows, need console

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thalzaar24

Well, i messed up on the installation and Linux boots to window mode instead of console mode.

I'm pretty new to the whole Linux universe and i'm currently taking Linux in school, so figured i'd play with a dual boot system at home.

Anyhow, here's the problem. I recently installed Red Hat 9 and during the set up, i forgot to select the console log in. Now it boots to windows each time. I'm trying to install the drivers for my video card, and it tells me i need to leave the windowed mode and run from console.

How exactly do i do that and how can i change it so i boot to console. I saw something that said to modify your /etc/inttab file but wasn't sure what to put it too.

any help would be appreciated. :)

nm, i figured it out, but i can't get my drivers to install. says i don't have a compiled kernel or something :mad:

Just in case anyone else has this problem, and sees this thread:

in /etc/inittab there is a line that looks like:
Code:
id:5:initdefault:
just change that to
Code:
id:3:initdefault:
and it will boot to console logon

Back