• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wine and folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mateo

I have wine folding with -advmethods -forceasm, but for the past couple of WUs Ive gotten file IO errors...what's wrong?

Im not OCed yet, Im stuck with stock cooling right now (long story)

"friends don't let friends drink and fold!"
;)

are you running wine as root or a normal user? what distro? what kernel? what version of wine?

wine

Are you using the beta 3.25 version of the windows client or the normal 3.24 version? The beta seems to choke up linux boxes when run in wine.

Also, the Linux B client is pretty fast now, so much so that I've stopped using wine to fold on my Linux boxen.

Do you think the Linux B client will eventually be faster since Linux seems to be faster on given hardware than windows is.

Re: wine

Arkaine23 said:
Are you using the beta 3.25 version of the windows client or the normal 3.24 version? The beta seems to choke up linux boxes when run in wine.

Also, the Linux B client is pretty fast now, so much so that I've stopped using wine to fold on my Linux boxen.

Yep the beta client does not work thru Wine for me either. I havent tried the Native Linux B client yet. I am going out of town this weekend biut will try it when I get back:D FOld on!!!!

Sorry, forgot about details, Im stupid :eek:

This is RH9, and I was using v3.24, or at least I think I was. Im under the Linux B client now, and it may just be me, but it seems slower.

On a side note, I can't seem to open more than one Linux B client at once, I get a 'permission denied' error or something like that, and I managed to get both folding under wine before they coughed up the WUs.

are you sure you've got the executable copied and the copy is in its own directory? trying to run the same client twice doesn't work too well ;)

i'm not sure about this whole "Linux native client is slower" stuff.... i've always found that Folding in *nix is faster w/o Wine... anyway, good luck figuring it out. ;)

Well the Linux B I have running now is cruising, I guess my perception was skewed before...yes I have two separate directories, and tried renaming the second client too, and got a permission denied. I think this also has happened if I try to run anything else, period. Its weird :confused:

For some reason the permissions on the .exe were screwed, now I fixed it :)

I'm pretty sure you can run the same client, you just have to run it from a different directory.

Say its here:
/home/you/FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe
and that you run your first client in that directory (/home/you)

What you do is:
cd /home/you
mkdir fah2
cd fah2
./home/you/FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe -someflag -someflag

It'll make a new client config and you should use a different machine ID # than your first client. The trick is to be conscious of what directory you're in when you launch the clients.

Some other things to check:

ls -al (make sure the client is executable to everyone and find out who owns it)
chmod +x FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe (if it doesn't have 3 x's in the permission bits)
chown -R yourusername FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe (if it is owned by a user other than you)

Back