• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

searching for good r9500np

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

OK I thought all of the r9500np's had the 256bit memory interface, but like everywhere i go it says 128bit, can someony tell me where the 256bit ones are so i can softmod, flash my bios, and OC to speeds of 9700p, mmuuuaahhhhhhhhh

Why don't you read the thread that you started this in?

ANY 9500 non-pro can be softmodded, the problem is that many of them start displaying garbage when all eight pipelines are running. This is likely at least part of the criteria for ATI binning those R300 cores into the 9500np pile... Nevertheless, you also sometimes get lucky and find a 9500np that does work ok with all eight pipelines working.

If you ARE one of those lucky few, then you have one of two things going on:

1. if the card is built with the memory chips all in a straight line OR you have a 64mb card, then you now have a 9500 Pro. That means eight pipelines but only a 128 bit memory bus.

2. if the card is built with the memory chips all in an "L" shape AND MUST HAVE 128mb, then you now have a 9700 non-pro. THat means eight pipelines and the full 256 bit memory bus.

If you're one of the "unlucky" ones that the chip flakes out and goes crazy when all eight pipelines are turned on, that doesn't necessarily mean you're totally dead. You still have one of two things going on:

1. if the card is built with the memory chips all in a straight line OR you only have 64mb, then you really are stuck with a true 9500 non pro. 4 pixel pipelines, only 128 bit memory bus. Not a lot going for you here

2. if the card is built with the memory chips in the "L" shape AND MUST HAVE 128mb onboard, then you've still got a great card! This is the older equivalent of a 9600 -- four pixel pipelines, but with the full 256 bit memory bus. You can usually overclock the everloving stuffola out of the core (I've seen these types of cards hit 400+mhz on the core easily when the softmod doesn't work) and they become VERY fast! Not quite 9700 fast, but still very quick for the pricetag -- even faster than the fastest overclocked 9600's out there.

So basically, so long as you find a 9500 non-pro with 128mb of ram AND the memory chips are laid out in the "L" shape, you're getting a very good deal anyway. Being able to softmod it for all 8 pipelines to work is just extra icing on the cake.

he's asking where to buy one from... I also kind of want to know, if there are any sites/stores that guarantee a 256bit memory rad9500?

Thats the one I got a couple weeks ago. Took the softmod like a champ, and overclocks like a mother, you guys will be very pleased. Congrats on your purchase. Can't beat the price neither.

I've got plans for you, my little red one, oh do I have plans....

kikudance.GIF

Back