• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proplem Renewing IP address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eab

Ok, I have a small home workgroup for my familys computers so we can play games transefer files .etc

Now every computer is fine except MINE! I can't access other shared files and the other computers can't get my files. I do a repair conection thing through windows networking and it says unable to renew IP address. What is wrong? To set up the network all I did was go through the network setup wizard and that worked in the past.

Can anybody help us?

first i would restart the computer, then change some settings... make sure your computer is either setup with dhcp or manually setup with an ip address (i am assuming that you have it setup with dhcp since you are trying to renew the ip address). make sure your workgroup is set the same as the other computers. if that doesn't work, you could uninstall tcp/ip and start from scratch... i would also check to make sure that your router or whatever it is that you use to connect all of your computers in your home network is properly setup. you might also want to try to toggle the power off and back on...

Last edited:
Ok I tried a restart that didn't do any thing. all the computers are setup with dhcp. I also made sure that the workgroup is the same. What can happen is I can get it setup and it works fine. Then a half hour or so latter it dosn't work. What I have to connect all the computers together with is a swicth not much to configure with that but I will unplug it and plug it back in to see if that helps...

Try flushing the dns resolver cache and then re-registering it. Thats helps sometimes.
Start
Run
CMD
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

do you have a router that is providing DHCP services? If not turn OFF DHCP on the clients and give them a static IP address. This will solve a lot of issues. It will also cause the system sto start up faster because it will not time out trying to connect to a DHCP server that does not exsist.
Even if you do have a router, with 10 or less computers it is easiest to just configure them to have static IP's.

Give that a try...

Sounds like you are using a router with DHCP,
most routers have a web interface, get into the control panel,
Many routers also let you see the DHCP table,
find that, once found located your computer on that table, and delete it, then shutdown your computer and power it back up, the router should reassign you a IP address, what happens
is that the DHCP bind tha mac address with a ip and keeps a record of it, so when you power off your system and back up your system is reassigned the same ip. so even if you use a ip tool and tell it to reassign it just will get teh same ip addy.
if your router is a silly one and does not have a DHCP table then the only thing you can do it reset the router and then power cycle it back up, if you have any port forwarding set you ll need to reset them. but try to see if you have a dhcp table log, I know the Linksys routers do, so if you have one of those your all set.
-L_P

engjohn said:
do you have a router that is providing DHCP services? If not turn OFF DHCP on the clients and give them a static IP address. This will solve a lot of issues. It will also cause the system sto start up faster because it will not time out trying to connect to a DHCP server that does not exsist.
Even if you do have a router, with 10 or less computers it is easiest to just configure them to have static IP's.

Give that a try...

that is what i would suggest as well. i have my network setup with static ip addresses because i use the ip addresses to network drives, ping each other, etc. it just makes it much more simpler to be able to remember a single ip address cause it will be the same. if you need help trying to figure out how to set it up with static ip addresses, i am sure we can help you out.

you said that all of your computers on a switch, not a router, right? if so, i'm guessing that you have a computer that is acting as a router for your internet then...

Last edited:
Back