• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the best psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
antecs (True Control 550) and fortrons (350w and assorted 530/550w) are good choices, and most of them are under $150. and next time, try the search button! it's very useful:)

flapperhead said:
If u got 275, try pc power and cooling. they are expensive but they are the best..

ya beat me to it:D another vote for pc power and cooling if you got the money, then antec 550s becuase the fortron 530 is too low on the 12V rail

EG465AX-VE (W) FCA
eg365ax-ve-fca.jpg

enermax1.2v%20list.jpg

Enermax is not the best brand to go for - crummy value for money IMO, since their PSUs have decreasing wattage for increased temperature starting AT 25C!

for <275 I'd recommend PC power and cooling also - tight line regulation and bags of power.

L337 M33P said:
Enermax is not the best brand to go for - crummy value for money IMO, since their PSUs have decreasing wattage for increased temperature starting AT 25C!

for <275 I'd recommend PC power and cooling also - tight line regulation and bags of power.

in my company we have about twenty render workstations with enermax psus, we use them for three years now without any problems. the other choice is cheiftec with a lifetime warranty

If you want the best then PC Power and Cooling is about as good as it gets...1% line regulation...Antec TruePowers 3%...Most other manufacturers 5%...The 530 watt Fortron for 75.00 delivered from newegg is easily the best bang for buck power supply on the planet...As a matter of fact PC Power and Cooling use Fortron/Sparkles that they modify to meet their specs for some models...:)

that enermax is only rated for 18A on the 12V line thats kinda low...

EDIT: you really don't hafta spend that much on a psu the antec 550 will do just fine.

i don't say enermax is best, but for around 80 bucks you got a psu wich has enough power for most of the systems today. i think there is absolutly no need to buy a psu for 200-300$, i have a p4 at 3.5ghz, ati 9800, audigy2, two sata drives, dvd-rom and a dvd-r and my old 350w enermax supplies more than enough power for my system

Putting in my vote for the PC Power and Cooling Turbocool 510. The just released a deluxe model of their Turbocool 510 that has sleeving on all the cables, has 11 molex and 2 serial ata power adapters compared to just 8 molex on the regular 510, has voltage adjustment and an on/off switch which the regular 510 lacked. I have heard people have been quoted 249-269 on it and right now it is the best PSU on the market if you have the money.

Animal982 said:
Putting in my vote for the PC Power and Cooling Turbocool 510. The just released a deluxe model of their Turbocool 510 that has sleeving on all the cables, has 11 molex and 2 serial ata power adapters compared to just 8 molex on the regular 510, has voltage adjustment and an on/off switch which the regular 510 lacked. I have heard people have been quoted 249-269 on it and right now it is the best PSU on the market if you have the money.

They get my Vote and they are the best for consumer PC's

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/

He asked which is the best, Its funny as I just replaced my Enermax EG465AX-VE (W) FCA to a PC Power and Cooloing 425 and there is no comparison. I gave away my first PC Power and Cooling PSU to a buddy and this was a BIG mistake, so I bought another one.

+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 20A
-5V @ 0.3A
-12V @ 1A
+3.3V @ 40A
+5VSB @ 2A
+5 & +3.3<300W

idx_power-supplies.jpg

i don't say enermax is best, but for around 80 bucks you got a psu wich has enough power for most of the systems today.

Hate to knit pick but countermods was specifically asking for the best...

I have read complaint threads about every brand accept one, PC Power and Cooling.

ok, but what about those that dont have that much money to spend on a kickass power supply,, need to find a case and psu that supports p-4 2.4c 800fsb overclocked with gforcec fx and gig of ddr400..... seems enermax is best for lower cost..and still quiet

unreal said:
ok, but what about those that dont have that much money to spend on a kickass power supply,, need to find a case and psu that supports p-4 2.4c 800fsb overclocked with gforcec fx and gig of ddr400..... seems enermax is best for lower cost..and still quiet
Enermax is no good IMO. For OC'ing their rails are weak and their regulation is the worst. For an excellent cheap PSU look at Fortron or Sparkle, both made by Fortron.

nikhsub1 said:

Enermax is no good IMO. For OC'ing their rails are weak and their regulation is the worst. For an excellent cheap PSU look at Fortron or Sparkle, both made by Fortron.

i don't think so. as you can see below the enermax i use is good enough for my 3.5ghz p4 system. and it comes with golded connectors..:D;)

Redstone said:

Hate to knit pick but countermods was specifically asking for the best...

I have read complaint threads about every brand accept one, PC Power and Cooling.

you are abslolutly right. my fault..

unreal said:

When you get 100 posts look in our Classifieds, that's where I bought mine, they pop up from time to time...But never last long.

Also you can find a used one on Ebay like here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3423997243&category=42021

The Turbo-Cool 425 ATX/ATX12V is on sale for $135.20 from $169 if you buy Direct and they Ship quick

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/prices/index.htm

I hope that that PCP&C works out for you. For those of you who don't have the money, I would reccomend a Forton/Sparkle, or an Antec. Both of them are reliable and very good PSU's for little money.

Back