• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Upgrade!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferg

I finally decided to make the big upgrade from my old KT7 and 1.33 Tbird. I picked up the new Epox KT600 board, the model number is EP-8KRA2+. I know its kinda risky getting a board that new, but ive heard good things about the KT600 and I love Epox boards. Also i got a 1700+ and 512M crucial PC-3200. All that for $247 is pretty damn good bang for your buck if you ask me. I heard most people saying they got DLT3C Tbred B's from mwave so i guess i just have to cross my fingers and hope i get one too. I have pretty good cooling so im hoping for about 2.2 Ghz. I should get it all by thursday and will have some initial results by friday that ill post. Also anybody who has ordered a 1700+ from mwave lately please tell me what stepping code you got.

yea i know excaliburPC tells you the stepping but it was about 15 bucks more there, plus its just easier to order from one place. I thought it was worth the risk.

I just ordered an 1700 xp dltc from excaliberpc it was 73 dollars for the retail version costs a little more but its worth it to know exactly what your getting.

Ferg said:

The performance difference is marginal, and it costs about 20 bucks less. Plus with later bois revisions it could catch up to the nForce2.

PCI lock can potentially make a huge difference. I have had major issues with some of my components that just refused to run at high pci speeds(nothing like your hard drive writing corrupted data into your registry!). Locking the pci bus is a godsend...

i had the gigabyte GA-7VT600 but it didn't have enough options in the BIOS for me so i swapped for this one....i'm still thinking of trying to get a KT600 board...i've read some pretty good things in the forums about the ASUS A7V600....one of the guys said he was stable at 215FSB so i think i could deal with that....

I respect your decisions to go VIA.

Newbies please note that:
1. There are good deals for affordable nForce2s.
2. Increasing the FSB changes the speed of the whole motherboard and everything connected to it unless the mobo has a PCI lock. No VIA mobo has a PCI lock and most, if not all nForce2s do.
3. All respectable web sites and even VIA themselves admit nForce2 chipset superiority that no BIOS "fix" will affect.
4. No consumer with options would choose VIA over nForce2 unless they are limited to a specific retailer.

Don't forget that a KT600 does have a 1/6 divider. Thus, for most people, there won't be any discernable difference between this and a PCI lock. Using 38mhz PCI bus as a safe figure would allow for a front side bus of 228mhz; high enough for all logical purposes. Taking the risk for the 1700+ may not be such a good idea, though.

with a 1/6 divisor a 220 Mhz fsb is possible therefore it can overclock just as well or with maybe 5-10 Mhz at least of any nForce2 mobo. It also has native seriel ATA support, is cheaper, and the performance difference is less than 10%. I mean i know nForce2 boards arent expensive but try to find one with both PATA and SATA raid, and firewire with plenty of voltage options for 90 bucks. This board has better bang for your buck than nForce2. As for the processor I did see some forum threads with people getting AXDA1700DLTC processors from mwave. So im pretty sure i will get that. And if i dont im out 47 bucks, not a big deal. Thats like 20 bucks cheaper than excalibur. If someone can show me how you can get better performance for 250 bucks shipped with the same features i would be very surprised to see it.

JACKPOT!! i got an DLT3C AIUGA 0324. i thought that stepping was only for 2100+ and above? either way im happy and after i get it installed I should have some results by tomorrow. wish me luck!!!

Just don't go over 180-185 fsb and you should be fine with the via chipset, I have a kt400 board at 180 fsb and it scores better than some nforce2 setups. The reliablity of the via boards is worth the small loss in performance versus the nforce2 imho.

Ferg said:
JACKPOT!! i got an DLT3C AIUGA 0324. i thought that stepping was only for 2100+ and above? either way im happy and after i get it installed I should have some results by tomorrow. wish me luck!!!
:eek: I think that's a T-bred A dude.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

1700+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX1700DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1700DLT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A. Update 3/28/03: It appears that from week 8 of 2003 and afterwards, there are 1.5V TBredBs with the same code.

All TBredAs have a stepping code which ends in "A," like "AIUGA." All TBredBs have a stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."

c627627 said:

:eek: I think that's a T-bred A dude.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00173/

1700+

Palominos: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AX1700DMT3C, that's a Palomino.

TBredA: If the website you're ordering from shows an order code of AXDA1700DLT3C, that's a Thoroughbred A. Update 3/28/03: It appears that from week 8 of 2003 and afterwards, there are 1.5V TBredBs with the same code.

All TBredAs have a stepping code which ends in "A," like "AIUGA." All TBredBs have a stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."

ahh crap your right, but its very recent, week 24, so hopfully it will do at least 2Ghz. for 47 bucks i cant complain. Also the KT600 has a 1/6th divisor unlike the KT400 so it can do up to about 210 to 215 from what ive heard from intitial reports.

Yes because they will overclock further, as long as they're DLT3C with stepping code which ends in "B," like "AIUGB."

Im starting to work up the overclock and so far ive gotten up to 1785 (8.5 x 210). Ive been slowly working it up and doing about an hour Prime 95 burn in between each step. Right now its running 100% stable (no errors or warnings in Prime 95), but very hot 42 idle, and 51 load using a thermister that is touching the die. right now the memory is at 2.7v and the cpu at 1.7v

*edit* I upped it to 1890 (9 x 210) and its still 100% stable and the temperatures only rose a bit, 43 idle, 53 prime 95 load. It seems like this chip will do well as long as the voltage are low.

Last edited:
Back