• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Else Using a 2.6 Test Kernel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy Shane

In order to get my AGP 8x compliant Geforce 4 to work with my Abit board that does not allow the user to manually set the AGP speed if an AGP 8x card is detected, I have been using the 2.5 series kernels and now the 2.6 test kernels on my gentoo box.

So far, everything seems to work pretty well. I had a few problems with modules until I found out I had to update my module tools to handle the new .ko extensions. I also had a little Gentoo specific issue since I didn't realize that /etc/modules.autoload is a symlink that was pointing at the old 2.4 kernel. Once I fixed those two issues, I could load modules and get them to load automatically at boot. I almost forgot, but compiling the USB (UHCI and EHCI) drivers as modules caused my kernel to hang right after be decompressed.

Performance is great, but anyone running custom kernels with preempt and low latency patches probably won't notice too much difference. I am still having a little trouble getting the built in ALSA drivers for my Soundblaster Live card to work, so I've just deferred to the OSS drivers for now.

So, is anyone else running the test kernel? Has anyone found any issues I should look out for?

Back