• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Relay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I have 2 power supplys in my comp. 1 400 watt generic for system and 1 520 watt vantec stealth (soon to be changed to samlex/meanwell pelt PSU). I wanted to know how to set up a relay so the power button starts both of these PSU's at the same time. Anybody have a guide or tutorial on how to build one?

get a 12v relay from like radio shaq.. and connect the 12v and ground from any connector on the first psu. then connect pin 14 (I think.. whatever. the green wire on the molex) and any ground to that.. the diagram on the package for relay's is fairly intuitive as to what goes where... lemme know if I have to get out my l33t M$ p41nt sk1llz :D

relay.gif

just match this diagram to the package on the relay. should be fine

so when power is applied the 12volt line puts power through the relay, closing the relay and therefore starting the second PSU with the first one when the PW button is pressed.

Last edited:
That will only work while i have my vantec PSU. I am returning it and getting one of those meanwell/samlex psu's which are insdustrial PSUs and dont have ATX connectors. How would that work with those?

if thats the case just splice the wires off and do it that way..... well, how does the pelt PSU power on in the first place? then you just take whatever two wires the "switch" shorts together to turn on the psu and use those in place of the green/black line.

got a link to the two psu's your gonna get? would make it easier for me to describe

pik4chu said:
if thats the case just splice the wires off and do it that way..... well, how does the pelt PSU power on in the first place? then you just take whatever two wires the "switch" shorts together to turn on the psu and use those in place of the green/black line.

just do it like that.. wire that peltier's PSU power switch to the relay as shown above in place of the set of green and black wires and should do fine.. make sure the power on does not pull that much currrent through the power switch (ie, the 'shorting' of the lines to power it up doesnt have lot of amps or might melt the relay, but dont see that happening. hope this helps.

Back