• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron 350w, or 400w....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evnas

Well, in my case i have 2 CD Roms, 2 HDD's, SB Live! Drive, Floppy, 9500 Pro, 3 80mm and 3 60mm case fans, Vantec Tornado for the CPU...was wondering if a 350w Fortron would be able to handle all that in an overclocked situation, or if i should go with the 400w (i have a thread in the "Cooling" section for more details on my situation)

From what I understand the 350 and 400 are basically the same the psu, they have the same outputs and everything. If you are going to get one of those get the 350 that way you can get the 120mm fan in it.

The 400W Fortron isn't any more capable than the 350W model, as most versions of both have 15A 12V circuits.

The 400W Fortron/Sparkle I saw at Fry's had a noticeably larger transformer than the 350W, while the 350W transformer was identical to the one in the 300W.

But the extra capacity is on the 5V rail. If you're running a board that derives Vcore from the 5V line, you may want to consider the 400W version. For most users these days the 15A 12V line on both makes them functionally interchangeable.

The 8RDA does derive vcore from the +5V rail... The 350 is rated for 32 A, and the 400 for 40. But with your current setup, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 350W model will still be good up to around 2.5ghz. With the success I've had with a mere 300W, I have no reason to believe that a 350W won't serve you superbly. Furthermore, when you upgrade, your next motherboard will almost definitely derive core voltage from the 12V rail, so this is a more important factor in long term cost effectiveness IMHO.

I'm running the FSP-350 in my Barton machine. It's powering the cpu running [email protected], overclocked Radeon 9800 (430/395), 3x120mm case fans, 2x92mm fans, 60mm gpu fan, DVD+R/+RW, floppy, 2x7200rpm 80GB HDs.

I read a review of an A-Open H700A big tower that comes with a (relabeled) FSP350 PFC PSU with the 120mm fan and it delivers the same power output as a 550W no-name PSU, and can also sustain this power output whereas the no-name would fail after a certain amount of time.

Back