• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New stickies Questions and Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I'll be posting the new stickies. These contain relevant information and a consolidated thread of all the info currently in the four stickies in the top of the forum.

As I'm not a mod, I can't stick or close threads, so I'll ask a mod to stick this one, and leave it open so
Please do not post questions or other items in there.

If you think that something need to be changed, open another thread, or post it below. I'll read the suggestions and edit the stickies as needed.

Well, the first seven post are already available. Please read them and tell me what do you think about them ;)

Suggestion for 8th post in the sticky:

How to use a Linux CD to crunch without a hard drive.

Overclockix is a customized version of Knoppix 3.2- a bootable Linux CD-based OS, and does not require you to have a hard drive, nor does it write to a hard drive if you don't want it to. It can help you get your spare parts crunching, build cheap diskless clusters, or just function as a temporary fix for a damaged OS or hard drive. It runs entirely off the CD and crunches in a ramdisk.

There are really only three steps to get it up and running.
1) Get an Overclockix CD or several.
2) Get the machine(s) booted from the Overclockix CD(s).
3) Run a couple of commands to start and configure the seti client(s).

Step 1:

Getting an Overclockix CD

Download the 691mb iso and burn the image onto a 700mb CD-R. It may help if you use a web-browser that can resume broken downloads (opera) or things like get-right or download accelerator to avoid hassles downloading such a large file. You can also email a request for a CD to [email protected], and I'll make arrangements to mail one out to you for the cost of shipping. Here's the link to download it:

http://folding.octeams.com/oclinux/Overclocki_ColdFusion.iso

To burn the iso, I suggest Nero- Close the wizards, go to the File dropdown menu, choose the "burn image" option. Winiso will also work. What's important is that you don't simply copy the iso onto a CD, but burn the iso image. The roxio software that's built-in to WinXP won't do it.

Step 2:

Booting the CD

Set your bios to boot from CD. Most hardware will be detected and configured automagically and you'll be on the desktop in about a minute. Its possible that you may have some difficulty depending on what your hardware is, and I can't possibly account for and address each and every scenario in this post. But there are cheatcodes that can help. Press F2 when prompted if you want to see some common cheatcodes. You can read up on knoppix cheatcodes on www.knoppix.net/docs or seek help in the www.knoppix.net forums. There are also threads in the OC forums about Overclockix where you can ask questions and get assistance.

knoppix screen=1024x768 (for example is a cheatcode to set the screen resolution to 1024x768) I beleive the default resolution is 640x480, so this cheatcode should probably be used by just about everyone. You can of course use other common resolutions.
knoppix 2 (for example boots into text-mode)

To crunch:

Open a terminal. It's the taskbar icon of a monitor with a shell next to it on the bottom left of the screen. You will get a semi-transperant window of what looks like a DOS prompt.

Run these commands:
foldoff
cfgseti

You will then see the seti console's config menu and be able to enter your user information- email addy, setiathome username.... The seti client will then shutdown and restart in stealth mode after about 40 seconds, leaving you a blank prompt in the terminal. Don't worry, it's crunching.

Once you've set the user configuration by running cfgseti, there are some other commands you can try-

setioff (will shut down the seti client)
setionproxy IP_ADDY:port (will start the client and run the proxy option using the IP and port you specify)

Use the commands top or gkrellm to check CPU useage and verify that setiathhome is running. Pressing "q" will quit top, which is a task manager. You can also click the karamba icon on the desktop which will show CPU and memory useage.

Overclockix works best on moderately new hardware. I suggest a minimum of 400mhz CPU and also 128mb of ram if you want to run it in graphical mode. You can get away with much less if you run in text-mode using the cheatcode knoppix 2. Not all hardware is supported (mainly modems or very old video cards are problematic).

There are also many cool things you can do with this OS in order to personalize it, or monitor your seti client from another machine on your network. You can even set it up to crunch seti wu's onto a hard drive or usb pen drive in order to avoid the loss of a WU due to reboot or shutdown (a simple procedure called creating a persistent home directory).

It's packed with nearly 2000 common linux applications, and 6 different burn-in apps/DC clients: prime95, memtest86, cpuburn, F@H, S@H, and Lucifer. It even has a windows virus scanner that updates its definitions and installs itself to the ramdisk when you run it, so you can scan hdd partitions for virii without booting into windows. getantivirus and virusscan are the commands to install and use the virus scanner. So it can be also useful to burn-in machines or do sytem recovery.

While it only takes a few minutes to get it booted and crunching, and I have attempted to make it easy to use by writing scripts and providing instructions in a folder on Overclockix's desktop... learning to use everything included on the CD could take some time. I encourage you to play around with it as much or as little as you like. It does have web-browsers and chat clients- in fact I wrote this post while booted from an Overclockix CD. :)

Last edited:
Can you write this a little bit clearer.....including the most common cheatcodes, and how to configure your account and I'll post it :attn:

Done, but the more I clarify, the longer the post will be....

:) :D

Last edited:
The clearer the merrier.....sometimes we make an instruction set very clear to us, but someone else reads it and find it really confusing. Size is not a problem. Make it as explicit as possible and drop it here so I can give it a good read, and we then decide if it need pruning ;)

Back