• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie with a question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mepho

Hi all. I have been reading the forums for about 2 weeks now and have decided on a course of action as far as buying a chip is concerned. Now I know prices will vary, but what I'm concerned about is what all these variations of the same speed chip mean?

All the chips have this in common in their descriptions: AMD T-Bird 1200 MHZ FSB @ 266:

The differences:

Socket A OEM Blue Copper Die (1 yr warr) $249.95
Retail Blue Copper Die (3 yr warr) Unlock $269.95
Socket A Retail Blue Copper Die (3 yr warr) $259.95
OEM Blue copper Die (30 day warr) Unlock $229.95
Socket A OEM Blue Copper Die (30 day warr)$219.95
OEM Socket A (1 yr warr) $226.95
Socket A Retail w/Fan (3 yr war) $249.95
OEM Socket A (30 day war) Unlock $219.95
OEM Socket A (30 day war) $201.95

What does a blue copper die do for me? Is it wise to purchase a chip with only a 30 day warrantee? Is part of the reason why some chips are more expensive based solely on longer warrantees? Is buying a retail chip better than buying an OEM chip?

Just a few questions I hope anyone can answer. Thanks for your time...

Mepho (Apr 02, 2001 11:53 p.m.):

All the chips have this in common in their descriptions: AMD T-Bird 1200 MHZ FSB @ 266:

What does a blue copper die do for me? Is it wise to purchase a chip with only a 30 day warrantee? Is part of the reason why some chips are more expensive based solely on longer warrantees? Is buying a retail chip better than buying an OEM chip?

Just a few questions I hope anyone can answer. Thanks for your time...

The chips with a blue copper die (as opposed to a green die) are supposed to be able to overclock higher. I believe these chips were produced in Germany.

The difference in the 30 day warrantee (OEM Version) and the 3 year warrantee(Retail) isn't worth the price difference imho. If you overclock or mess with the L bridges then you void out your warrantee anyway.

With the retail chip, you also get a stock fan that you most likely will not use if you plan on doing some successful overclocking.

Amiel

Mepho if you plan to overclock the warranty really wont matter since by oc'ing you void it.

Most 1.2's come unlocked I have never seen a post from someone who has bought a 1.2 that has been locked. Therefore I wouldn't pay any extra for the word unlocked in the description.

If I were you though I would go to Newegg.com and buy one of there 1.33 they are selling for $234 Plus $10 for fed ex shipping.

Good Luck

Wow, that's extraordinary!! Sounds like a plan then. Thanks for the input guys...

Back