• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V from Geeks with trashed BIOS chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the link. I already found that same one though and the seller only accepts Paypal and I don't have an account and don't really want to open one just to buy one thing. I am certain there are no markings on the chip that came with this board, I looked at it under magnification and it is indeed nothing but black. I am still interested in fixing this darned thing, if I don't I won't end up with a CHV this time around.

I have two deadlines, one is I have about 9 days left to return this CHV to Geeks to get a full refund, and the other is that the wife needs a new home rig in the near future. I thought I had my choice made a couple weeks ago when I ordered the $149 CHV from geeks to use as the board for my gaming rig and this M5A97 EVO with my old 555 would become her new rig, now I am back to wondering if I shouldn't get a $45 M5A97 EVO, identical to the one I am currently running for her rig and then wait a few months until the 1000 series boards come out to go big on a Mobo. :shrug:

If you aren't planning on running extreme cooling or wild numbers of GPUs the M5A97 EVO will probably do everything that the CHV will do for you.

I was contemplating finding the markings, ordering a chip from digikey for about a buck, flashing it and then mailing it to you. 9 days is cutting it close and there is no guarantee that the board is even fully alive anyway. I think I'd return it.

Yes, the CHV will probably only add just a fuzz to my performance. The better VRM setup might just get me over 5 Ghz with this FX-4170 though. I figured if I could go top-notch for $149 it was worth it, but thus far all I have had is headaches. I am going to give Geeks another try though, I am thinking I just got "lucky" with this messed up mobo. :rain: If they were sending out tons of non-functioning boards they would not be around for long, and these guys have been around for about 30 years. The biggest bonus I would probably see from a CHV is because of the better Crossfire with a 990 mobo, which takes me back to the choices on Geeks. I can either A: go the cheapest easiest route and get a $45 M5A97 EVO, B: Go one step up and get an M5A99X for $70 or, C: For another $40 get a Sabertooth for $109. I have been cruising all of the review threads that have comparisons between these boards, and the M5A99 performs right on par with both the ST and CHV in actual Gaming performance. I will probably order a M5A99X tonight and send back the CHV in the morning.

Get another M5A97 EVO.

Unless you are trying to push 1090/1100T or 8120/8150 to 1,000,000,000 MHz, or are running really high end GPUs in crossfire, don't bother with a high end board.

Alea iacta est.

Last night I was sure I was going to settle for getting the M5A99X EVO for $70, and this morning Geeks cut the price of the Sabertooth's to $99 so I went ahead and splurged a bit on it. I think my main aversion to going for a Sabertooth was just the name. I have had a long standing policy of trying to avoid dealing with companies or products named after venomous or vicious creatures or anything evil or criminal in nature. For example, I can guarantee you that I will never buy a "Diablotech" product. In my experience people consciously or sub-consciously choose names to represent their base nature. I am guessing the "Sabertooth" name was meant to sound tough instead of hostile or archaic. In my opinion the marketing guys that came up with using something relating to a vicious ancient beast as a name for a high-tech product should be given the boot, but that's just me.

I figured I would follow up on my Geeks experience in this thread for future reference, I will post the results of my second try with getting a refurbished mobo from Geeks. The first try was obviously a swing and a miss, hopefully this was just a fluke and they make good on their refund of the trash CHV they sent me.

I wouldn't step down to a sabertooth, the CHVF is the top of the foodchain for AMD performance boards.

Update: Summer is my indoor season here in sunny Arizona, and when I tend to tinker with my computer the most. After getting the CHV and then having to send it back, I settled for a $99 Sabertooth because Geeks is out of stock of CHVs. Paying $150 for an AMD mobo is probably near the "Should have went for an Intel rig" priceline in my opinion, so I just can not justify paying full price to get the top-of-the-line Crosshair V mobo. I did still want one though, so RMA/refurbished CHVs are my only option. As luck would have it, Newegg listed OpenBox CHVs for $154 the day after I ordered the Sabertooth from Geeks, and I just went ahead and bought one. :rofl: At this moment in time I have paid for 3 motherboards, I sure hope Geeks makes good on their return/refund policy, the CHV is still in transit to them right now.

I also hope that the CHV from Newegg actually works of course too.:facepalm:
Oh well. I have paid full price for things in the past and ended up going through about this same RMA/Newpurchase cycle on new full priced gear. At worst I might end up having a Sabertooth AND a CHV for the price of a CHV. :borg:

Back