• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V from Geeks with trashed BIOS chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jagged_Steel

Here's the scoop: I ordered a Crosshair V from Geeks. The refurbished unit with full retail package (supposedly) was $149. I am leery of anything refurbished of course, but Geeks has been in business for a long time and I have read many people have good experiences with them. Thus far that has not been the case for me. Right after I ordered it last Monday (7-31?), the page said "out of stock" . I suspect they were actually out of stock when they accepted my order and had to wait until they had another one to send me. They delayed shipping it for 3 or 4 days, I got an E-mail last Friday saying they finally shipped it. When I received it Tuesday and unpackaged it the one thing that was missing was the MANUAL! No biggie I thought and downloaded the .pdf manual. When I examined the board, there were two things that I noticed. First, there was a small dent on a shiny badge that appears to have no ill effects, and the second thing I noticed was that the VRM/NB heatsink was misaligned . Specifically there is a piece that slides in a connects the two heatsinks together and it protrudes farther from one side . When I rocked it back and forth it did not feel like it was making good contact. I tried to realign this, even pulling off the heatsink and discovered that the NB had something resembling Silly Putty gooped on the chip, with none actually where it is supposed to be. I cleaned it and applied some real TP. I was unable to get the alignment problem fixed, it felt like the heatpipe was going to bend, so I gave up and re-mounted the unit. It seemed to feel right after this so I proceeded to assemble the new rig, along with a new Thermaltake W2 PRO watercooler and a new NZXT case.

I got it all together with my FX-4170 and the rest of the pieces from my current rig, plugged it in and NOTHING. The board would power up, all fans would spin, but not a blink on the monitor, and no beeps at all. I then of course checked all connections and card slots, everything was perfect. I had heard about the BIOS issues with FX CPUs, so I was prepared and stuck my 555 in and got the same thing. NOTHING. I then examined the board very carefully, and noticed that the BIOS chip was not quite sitting right in its socket. I stuck my finger on it with the board powered up and the BIOS chip was so hot it nearly burned me. I decided to pull it and I discovered that several of the pins had been bent over on to each other, obviously shorting everything out. It looked like a Caveman had pounded it into the socket with a rock. Undaunted, I then proceeded to carefully straighten out the severely bent pins on the DIP and of course one of them fluttered away like a dandelion petal.....:facepalm: Still hopeful, I saw that the stub might actually be long enough to make contact in the socket, so I re-inserted it. When I fired up the rig again I got a chirp and the ASUS screen appeared , but pressing delete or F1 did nothing, and then got to this:

amscreen.jpg

The part you cant see because of the flash says the EC data or files are corrupted. Do you think the chips is ruined or can it be flashed with a correct BIOS? I already have the correct BIOS on a USB, tried the ROG connect deal, but nothing happened. I have not found exact instructions as to how that is supposed to work, so I tried holding the ROG Connect switch to the "ON" position for 30 seconds and then switching it back while powered up. Also tried it power off. Nothing. Am I doing something wrong? IF I decide to keep this board, I will get a new one eventually, but right now I am really trying to figure out whether to keep this mobo or not. I have read about people getting free new BIOS chips from ASUS due to the wonk FX BIOS issue, do you think they will send me one even though I did not purchase it "new"? Has anyone gone through this process?

Edit to add: When I took this picture, I was trying a ps/2 keyboard, and it says no keyboard, when I try a USB keyboard it shows up, but still does not enter BIOS when delete or F1 are pressed.

Last edited:
Adding another pic, it won't let me add pics in edit.

Here is a shot of the new NZXT case, TT W2 PRO and the CHV from Geeks. The helper in this picture is called "Joker".

Jokerhelping.jpg

I have about 10 days left to return this mobo for full refund. Should I even bother to try and get the BIOS funcioning, or should I just send it back now? I am actually considering giving Geeks another shot, they are out of CHV for the time being, so I can't exchange it. Geeks have Sabertooth's on sale for $99.

Last edited:
I wouldn't step down to a sabertooth, the CHVF is the top of the foodchain for AMD performance boards.

Yup. I really do want to make this thing work. Do you or anyobody else know exactly what I am supposed to do to flash the BIOS from a USB? This area is a complete unknown to me. I have read what I can find on the net, which isn't much. Nowhere have I found an actual step by step as to how to do this.

I am all for fixing and or flashing this thing. If I send it back I am going to end up with a different mobo, they are out of stock at Geeks so I can only get refund.

Here is what I have tried so far: I downloaded the latest BIOS and loaded it on a USB formatted FAT 32 and named it RF5 as per what incomplete instructions I have found. I then put it in the white ROG USB plug, and fired the rig up, then switched the ROG Connect switch to the "ON" position for 30 seconds, power down /reboot- etc. Tried every combination of switching on before power up- etc I could think of and still nothing. That screen I posted is what I get. It does say it is recognizing a BIOS though, so I am pretty sure the broken pin is actually making contact. Am I doing the flash correctly? I have never tried doing this before.

I am all for fixing and or flashing this thing. If I send it back I am going to end up with a different mobo, they are out of stock at Geeks so I can only get refund.

Here is what I have tried so far: I downloaded the latest BIOS and loaded it on a USB formatted FAT 32 and named it RF5 as per what incomplete instructions I have found. I then put it in the white ROG USB plug, and fired the rig up, then switched the ROG Connect switch to the "ON" position for 30 seconds, power down /reboot- etc. Tried every combination of switching on before power up- etc I could think of and still nothing. That screen I posted is what I get. It does say it is recognizing a BIOS though, so I am pretty sure the broken pin is actually making contact. Am I doing the flash correctly? I have never tried doing this before.

File should be named C5F.ROM, you can see the same file on the motherboard CD too, (whatever was latest when the CD was pressed) as the board will check there too.

However that would only help if you had the board in recovery mode, in which case you would see
"BIOS Checksum Error"
"Searching for C5F.ROM"
Or similar messages.

If you don't mind, what pin is broken on the IC?

I do see the BIOS named C5F on the CD. I will give the other name a try this weekend. Unfortunately I can't do it right now, I installed my M5A97 in the new case with the watercooling for now, and I don't have another powersupply that will run that CHV. I might swap tomorrow and see if I can get the BIOS flashed. The pin that is broken is the third down on the left side if you are viewing the chip from the top side with the notch up.

Edit: I am going to give this another try right now. I have to put the CHV in a case and then put it next to this one, and I also have to pull the watercooler off, it blocks the 8 pin. connecter. It might be a half hour or so.

Last edited:
I do see the BIOS named C5F on the CD. I will give the other name a try this weekend. Unfortunately I can't do it right now, I installed my M5A97 in the new case with the watercooling for now, and I don't have another powersupply that will run that CHV. I might swap tomorrow and see if I can get the BIOS flashed. The pin that is broken is the third down on the left side if you are viewing the chip from the top side with the notch up.

Edit: I am going to give this another try right now. I have to put the CHV in a case and then put it next to this one, and I also have to pull the watercooler off, it blocks the 8 pin. connecter. It might be a half hour or so.

If you want to hot flash it you need the M5A97.

Please explain. What is "Hot flash" and why do I want to do that rather than flashing from the disk or USB?
Because it is not in recovery mode if it is only showing what you posted in the first post.

I already described to you what the recovery mode is like when the bios is totally corrupt.

Hot flashing is flashing a bios chip "hot", meaning you take out the M5A97 bios chip while the computer is running, and insert the Crosshair V Formula bios chip into the slot. You get a Crosshair V Formula bios ready in a command line tool within DOS, such as AWDFLASH for Phoenix-Award or in case of an AMI BIOS, AMIFLASH, and force flash the bios using command line switches associated to different commands.

Then you pull the bios out of the board as soon as the flash completes, and re-insert the M5A97 bios.

http://goo.gl/C65WR
http://goo.gl/pYU1q

Well, I tried the Hotflash option and it was a complete failure. When I pull the BIOS chip from the operating M5A97 it stays running, but the instant I put in the chip from the CHV it freezes. Tried several times and it is a no-go. I am pretty sure that CHV chip is toast. When I called ASUS they directed me to http://us.estore.asus.com/, which got hacked a MONTH ago and the clowns still do not have their retail site back up. Ridiculous. Other than that I found a seller on EBAy that has pre-flashed CHV BIOS chips for $17+shipping, but they ONLY accept Paypal. I am not going to create a Paypal account for one silly purchase. And of course once I do that I am getting close to the full retail price of a CHV. And gauging by the BIOS date on this CHV, it is around a year old, do I really want to spend almost full price for something a year old? No. If I knew for certain that a BIOS chip would fix this thing I would go for it, but to shell out more money and not know for sure does not make sense. My head is starting to hurt thinking about this conundrum, I guess the best thing to do would be to send this POS back to Geeks so they can sell it to the next guy. All I wanted was a functioning board, is that so much to ask? I mean seriously this is the top of the line AMD motherboard, and a huge number of them don't function as delivered?? Grrrrr. :bang head

lol.

There are many service centers that are able to "refurbish" motherboards for ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.

Sometimes it is done by an idiot.

So in DOS, the computer froze as soon as you inserted the Crosshair V bios chip?

I started the M5A97 normally, and had intended to use the ASUS EZ-flash to shoot the new BIOS onto the CHV chip. I read around and the EZ-flash can be used to do a hot flash, you just need the correct BIOS you want to use in your folder, which I do. When I pulled out the M5 BIOS chip it was fine, and when I inserted the CHV chip it froze every time. All of the indications are that the CHV chip is indeed fried. Any ideas on where I might be able to get one of these BIOS chips? Fry's maybe? They do carry the whole ASUS mobo line. That would be ideal because there is one right near here.

I started the M5A97 normally, and had intended to use the ASUS EZ-flash to shoot the new BIOS onto the CHV chip. I read around and the EZ-flash can be used to do a hot flash, you just need the correct BIOS you want to use in your folder, which I do. When I pulled out the M5 BIOS chip it was fine, and when I inserted the CHV chip it froze every time. All of the indications are that the CHV chip is indeed fried. Any ideas on where I might be able to get one of these BIOS chips? Fry's maybe? They do carry the whole ASUS mobo line. That would be ideal because there is one right near here.
Well, you can also try starting the Crosshair V with its bios chip in and holding CTRL+HOME at POST with the recovery BIOS on a USB stick or motherboard CD in the drive.

Also, you should at least try using AFUDOS to hotflash from the M5A97. http://www.ami.com/support/downloads/amiflash.zip
You need a bootable CD or flash drive...otherwise directions are included.

To make a bootable DOS flash drive, try running UNetbootin from windows, select FreeDOS:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

When you're done running the program you'll have a bootable DOS flash drive to run flashing utilities.

Could you post a pic of the chip and also, if possible, type what's written on it?

You could always buy a new one off, I don't know, digikey and Hot Flash it. But make sure you install it properly, if you put it the other way around you might kill part of your M5A97.

The chip has no markings on it. All black. I was concerned about the direction of the DIP when I first discovered that the chip was running hot. My first thought was that it was inserted backwards, then when I pulled it out I saw that it had been crammed in with the pins folded over. The pictures I have found all show the chip with the notch towards the PCIe slots, so I think it was in the right direction.

Here is a pic of the board, you can see the chip on the lower right. You can also see the dent in the chrome badge on the lower left, although I don't think that is an issue.

GeeksCHV.jpg

Horrible picture of the BIOS chip after I had begun to straighten the pins. Initially two of them were completely folded over onto the others pins on that side.
BIOSbentpins.jpg

Are you sure there are no markings on it?
I can see the notch, on the left side.

Without good eyes in good light, or a magnifying glass, the info is unreadable but the IC should read:
winbond <--------- (Manufacturer)
25Q32BVAIG <-------- (Model number)
YYWW <--------- (Year/week)

@ BeepBeep : The chip has no markings on it, I even looked with a good magnifying glass. I suspect it is a generic CMOS ,probably installed by Geeks. I suspect this board was returned due to BIOS issues and they installed a new chip, but the bonehead mashed the thing in crooked and then did not test it before they sent it out.

@oldbrave: I did contact ASUS, and they directed me to their retail site, which got hacked a month ago and is still down. There is a link to the actual ASUS Estore site in a post above.

Not sure what to do now, I keep hoping Geeks will get CHVs back in stock so I could exchange this one, but it looks like I will be sending this mobo back for refund and just get something else.

Back