• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would i need to reformat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venturanova1

Registered
Is it necessary to reformat if i change my motherboard, I was planning on just upgrading my motherbaord because i would get agp 8x and dual ddr but i really dont like reformatting

Which Windows are you running? Also, which current mobo and which upgraded mobo?

Tread

Im curently running windows xp and my motherbaord is ecs k7s5a and i was planning on upgrading to a Biostar M7NCD PRO since its on sale on newegg and i would prob see a performance increase

You should not need to do a format and reinstall in this case. The only reason that it would be required that I can see is if you are going from a non-hyperthreading MB to a hyperthreading one. Windows XP would need to be reinstalled to take advantage in that case. You should be fine though.

XP will probably blue screen on you with your new components.
One solution would be to repair XP.
This will keep your data intact but you may have to reinstall some programs.
The other would be to start over with a fresh install (format and install).
I would do the later for a squeaky clean install (I do this every six months or so anyway).
Good luck!

umm, usually different motherboards have different chipsets and drivers for things, so any time you change the motherboard, i would format. unless its the same exact one. it saves you a lot of headaches later on with conflicting drivers. and yeah, i'd stay away from biostar.

i guess ill have to reformat if i upgrade, ill look for another kind of motherboard i might jsut upgrade ram to not go through all the trouble

I use a Biostar M7VKB (over 2 years old) and its a completely rock solid board. I've had uptimes going past 2 months without a single reboot, would have been longer had a storm not knocked out the power. Biostar products are ok, some of them just don't have many options for overclocking etc....

I've gone through 4 or 5 motherboards, both AMD and intel, with the same drive. Just do a little clean up. After it's up and running, go in in safe mode and delete drivers that you know were from the old mainboard. If something interferes, you can do the same and install the correct one. I'll grant that the data is getting a bit bulky, and stuff I never use is building up. I'll wait for 2nd generation SATA drives, and then start fresh.

ill try to get the biostar since my friend has gotten it and hasnt had any problems with it and recommends it and ill try using the hardrive with out reformatting ill get rid of all the old drivers and see if itll work thanks for all the hlep

Back