• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKeefe

I have an Asus P4P800, 2.4C CPU, Antec 350W SmartPower PSU, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, and 1GB of Corsair TwinX PC3200 CAS2 DDR RAM. Nothing is overclocked.

This system previously POSTed and booted into WinXP just fine. My RAM had memtest errors, so I RMAed it to Corsair. Today it came back.

In the time that my system was down, I installed a few fan grills and switched the stock Intel HSF to a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu.

When I put the new RAM back in, the system will not POST. In fact, it will not POST without memory either - I was under the impression that it should POST without RAM but just beep at me - I should at least be able to access the BIOS setup.

So, I'm assuming it's not my memory. I tried multiple slots and one stick at a time just to make sure. I switched to a video card I know is good and that didn't help.

I figure my problem is either the PSU (doubtful), the motherboard, or the CPU, since these are the only things I can't disconnect or switch with other hardware.

So, what do you think the problem is? I probably need to RMA something, and I don't want to RMA something that works.

Glad you got it going. But, just for future reference, a computer won't boot without RAM. You'll get a weird warning beep and it won't boot. Think about it... how can it boot without RAM memory? Part of the boot sequence is the memory check.

batboy said:
Glad you got it going. But, just for future reference, a computer won't boot without RAM. You'll get a weird warning beep and it won't boot. Think about it... how can it boot without RAM memory? Part of the boot sequence is the memory check.
That's what I thought. However, I got no beep, further confusing me.

Also, I was reading about the Vdimm mod on this board, and the instructions tell you to boot without memory at one point. I guess the slots get the correct Vdimm even if the board doesn't POST.

Funny that I needed to clear the CMOS. As best I can remember, everything was stock when I yanked the bad memory two weeks ago, and the memory was set to DDR400 at 3-4-4-8 and 2.75V. You would think that would POST, since SPD for these modules is CAS 2.5...

Back