• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying heatsink to back of card howto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chowdy

Well, i want to dissapate some heat from the VPU of the card in my sig. I know that the back of the card directly behind the VPU there's a lot of heat that i can get rid of. But what's the best way to apply a heatsink there, safely? I have a small heatsink from a GF2MX card that i coult put here, but i know not how. Anyone?

Thermal tape works. I would just blow a fan on there though because the hs will hardly make any contact with anything.

Don't know too much about the card, but this is what I did to my old Geforce (with mounting holes):

Removed the pushpins holding the GPU HSF on place
Made a small "coldplate" that fit between the resistors on the back of the card
Mounted the normal HSF pluss a HS on the back by screws through to back HS, through the card and into the HSF.

If there are no mouting holes, use some thermal adhesive. But make sure you actually make contact on the back side, sometimes it's really crowded with resistors and stuff..

Back