• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lots of external stuff....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camus

Registered
i'm posting this in alternative modding because i am not aware of something that exists to fit the needs of my new setup... i recently bought a shuttle xpc sn4162.

i have some hard drives and a few cdrom drives in my current PC that of course will not fit in the little case. i am asking the oc forumers what they think would be my best solution for my needs. the shuttle takes care of all my major pc tasks, but when i am at home, i would like to have as little hassle as possible "plugging" in my other drives (previous PC had a raid array of 7 drives)

the general merchants want me to buy external, single HDD boxes for almost 80 bucks a peice! i have a good lot of old CDROM drives, i could probably make my own cases, but would i need SCSI or would those nifty usb2.0 adapters be a better choice?

cd media towers are equally expensive, but the less cables you want, the more you pay, right? for the most extreme modders/inventors, what would you say would be my best bet? aside from spending hundreds of dollars :) thank you to anybody with some insight, this is truly a project for me :)

I'd say get an old POS system to act as a file server. Slap those guts in a large-ish case along with your 7 drives and set up a LAN. You could hide it away in a closet somewhere==no muss no fuss!

i had definately considered this. what would you say would be the fastest option? maybe i have been extending my reach. i was thinking more of a "box" i could place in the living room to give me access to the hd and cd drives, a closet box would be a good option except it wouldnt be the easiest to maintain at a hotel or some such place... i am not one for cables or cords, i should have worded my first post better, i am also trying to eliminate cables :) but the closet box is my 1st option.

Back