• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2k3 freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maiof

hey all... i'm about to throw this computer out the window...
i got ut2k3 for like 23$, in box new, when i took a business trip to las vegas...
anywho...
it worked fine on my rig for a while... now it freezess like crazy..
when it freezes it also gets stuck playing like 1/10 of the sound that was about to play... but i know it's nothing to do with my sound card...
i got a amd thunderbird 700 running at 900 (old school), with a
geforce 256SDR (32mb ram on VC)
have 384mb ram pc 100 running at 133.. i've ran it at 100 and it still freezes.. so i think it's some software thing.....

thanks all,

i cant set it back at stock... see.. it's an AZ-11 mobo by FIC... the jumperless... i had to cut some leads on the board and solder some dipswitches on it... but this was done like almost 2years ago.... the game worked fine 2 weeks ago...

hmm a true conundrum :D

Well this is what I would do in your situation, first to last.

Reinstall video drivers
Reinstall game (newest patch etc)
Reinstall OS (newest drivers / directx)

Has it gotten hotter where you are just recently? :rolleyes:

well... this level worked before..... it now freezes anywhere before loading it....

and for video drivers.. you suggest the newest detonator ones?

maiof said:
well... this level worked before..... it now freezes anywhere before loading it....
Well the problem is there so something must be causing it. You have to make some kind of effort to fix it. Try reinstalling the game, try reinstalling your video drivers. It's not uncommon that things just get messed up and need to be redone.

i've patched the game, reinstalled it, removed the det drivers for it, now i'm about to reinstall them.....

im having problems with ut2003 too... the thing is it worked fine until i installed any patch version 2199 or above... not overclocking, tried reinstalling the game and video drivers... specs in sig HELP!

masterchief said:
im having problems with ut2003 too... the thing is it worked fine until i installed any patch version 2199 or above... not overclocking, tried reinstalling the game and video drivers... specs in sig HELP!
What are the priz0blems specifically?

maiof where are you at?

maiof said:
my prob is it just freezes.......

Kansas!!! Why didn't you say so. That is your problem!

Anyway... I meant where did you go because you had not posted. So you reinstalled the video drivers and the game and you still get the same freeze? Is it just one one map?

no... it'll do that anywhere in the game.. it even does it in winamp when i have the vis running

maiof said:
no... it'll do that anywhere in the game.. it even does it in winamp when i have the vis running

well if it freezes with just winamp visuals playin, its definately a vid driver/card/overheating problem vs. ut2k3... how are you temps? how often do you give the inside of your case and all your fans/cards a good dusting with some canned air? sounds like overheating to me...

I would get Motherboard Monitor to keep an eye on the temps. Any time you do something graphics intensive, be it a video game or a winamp visualization, you will see an increase in temperature. Have you removed dust from the inside of your computer? Check the heatsink. Maybe your vid card is overheating... How many fans do you have in your tower? Is the air flow good? What about the ambient temperature? Maybe try some arctic silver on the CPU and GPU? SO basically, it sounds like a cooling problem to me since you've already tried all the installing and reinstalling of software and drivers.

well if it freezes with just winamp visuals playin, its definately a vid driver/card/overheating problem vs. ut2k3... how are you temps? how often do you give the inside of your case and all your fans/cards a good dusting with some canned air? sounds like overheating to me...

The default Winamp visualizations aren't hardware accelerated, it's all on his CPU when he wants to see pretty swirling colors. That tells me that this a deifnently an over-heating problem. Check your fans, heatsink, and maybe even reseat the thing with a fresh splotch of thermal paste.

BAH!!!!!reinstalled the game, the via drivers, directx8.1, put thermal grease on the cpu, AND the gpu...... but no work still.

i dont know which detonator drivers will work with it best though... since it's a geforce256 sdr.... i cant find much info on it anymore on google......
i'm thinking about doing a full update through microsoft though.... scarry.... :-\

anywho,

Any of the detonator drivers will work with your card. Have you tried directx9b? When was the last time you did a format/reinstall? What version of windows are you running btw?

i'm gonna try directx9b tonight.... i'm running windowsxp pro 5.1 2600

BAH!!!! nothing... i guess my last resort is to reinstall winxp.....
:-\

anywho... thanks anyways

Back