• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Options for P3 500mhz HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhilGates

Are there any recommendations on what to safely overclock? I don't know where to start. Theres an option in WCPUID to change the latency of the L2 cache but i don't know what to change it to, and what will improve performance or what. Any tips will be appreciated.

Mobo: Kestral Asus P2B-VT

[ WCPUID Version 3.1a (c) 1996-2002 By H.Oda! ]

Processor #1 : Intel Pentium III / AFEF395C
Platform : Slot 1 (SC242 Connector)
Vendor String : GenuineIntel
CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)
Family : 6 (-)
Model : 7 (-)
Stepping ID : 3 (-)
Brand : ----
APIC : ----
HT Log.CPU Cnt : ----
Name String : ----

Internal Clock : 501.13 MHz
System Bus : 100.23 MHz
System Clock : 100.23 MHz
Multiplier : 5.0

L1 I-Cache : 16K Byte
L1 D-Cache : 16K Byte
L1 T-Cache : ----
L1 Cache : ----
L2 Cache : 512K Byte
L2 Speed : 250.56 MHz (Half)

MMX Unit : Supported
SSE Unit : Supported
SSE2 Unit : Not Supported
MMX2 Unit : Not Supported
3DNow! Unit : Not Supported
3DNow!+ Unit : Not Supported

Host Bridge : 1106:0691.42 [VIA Apollo Pro133]
South Bridge : 1106:0596.12 [VIA VT82C596x]
VGA Device : 10DE:0110.A2 [NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400]
Memory Size : 192M Byte
Memory Clock : 100.23 MHz
: 68,2,M:8001,D:2865,R:0001

OS Version : Windows XP Version 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
-------------- : -----------------------------------

let me say that is probably one of the first p3's and therefore won't oc worth ..... so yeah check the bios to see if there is an option for changing the fsb.

Yep, it's 512KB cache so it's the older style. Not much overclocking overhead in these chips, and your bios likely won't allow changes to the fsb. The chipset on your machine is awful from a perfromance standpoint, being the earlier, non-A version of the mediocre Via P3 chipset, the 694. Best to save for a new rig, there's little to be done with this set of parts.

You can try a program called softFSB to change the fsb in windows, but there isn't likely to be much more than 500 in your chip without Vcore increases and the performance payoff wouldn't matter much even if it did.

gamefoo21 said:
let me say that is probably one of the first p3's and therefore won't oc worth ..... so yeah check the bios to see if there is an option for changing the fsb.

what would changing the L2 cache latency do? i was reading up about it and i can lower it but i have no idea what to lower it so/what it will change.

larva said:
Yep, it's 512KB cache so it's the older style. Not much overclocking overhead in these chips, and your bios likely won't allow changes to the fsb. The chipset on your machine is awful from a perfromance standpoint, being the earlier, non-A version of the mediocre Via P3 chipset, the 694. Best to save for a new rig, there's little to be done with this set of parts.

You can try a program called softFSB to change the fsb in windows, but there isn't likely to be much more than 500 in your chip without Vcore increases and the performance payoff wouldn't matter much even if it did.

yes i've already started on my new comp. i'm waiting for the 3.0c ghz processor prices to go down. to where the 2.xc ghz ones are now. (a lot of people suggest getting the lower frequency p4c's with ht but if i'm going to get something, i'm gonna get it big

i just have a loooow budget so i'm splitting the payments of each part over this next year, so i wanna squeeze what evers left out of this computer

the 3.0 is not a great overclocker from what ive seen. The 2.xc's seem to be better overclockers and have produced similar results to what you can get out of a 3.0

Blunt said:
the 3.0 is not a great overclocker from what ive seen. The 2.xc's seem to be better overclockers and have produced similar results to what you can get out of a 3.0

i'll take that to heart. might save me a couple hundred :)

if ya don't believe me cause i am a noob and all just read a few of the posts in this section and see what kinda impression you get. the 2.4c seems to be the miricle worker. (3.2 - 3.4 avg) but the 2.6 and 2.8 might get you clsoe to 3.8 ghz which is about what ive seen the 3.0 get

Keep in mind that memory might also limit your overclock.. pc3200 won't give you a lot of headroom (not saying you have this or not).

I have the same p3 chip on my old rig. I havn't even thought about overclocking it. I cringe at the fact of it running at stock. Your new system should run better/overclock also.

Blunt said:
if ya don't believe me cause i am a noob and all just read a few of the posts in this section and see what kinda impression you get. the 2.4c seems to be the miricle worker. (3.2 - 3.4 avg) but the 2.6 and 2.8 might get you clsoe to 3.8 ghz which is about what ive seen the 3.0 get

yes i'm probably going to get the 2.8c :)

i'm glad i took my time setting this next comp up. for this comp i was just like i want it now so i went to office depot and got this HP instead of building. worst mistake i've ever made :D

i can't wait to experience this next computer. i'm used to lag :rolleyes:

yeah i went out and bought a new compaq :( took it back the next day cause i couldn't do nothing to overclock it

Blunt said:
yeah i went out and bought a new compaq :( took it back the next day cause i couldn't do nothing to overclock it

this computer has served me well. the onlything that i hate about it is that is a minitower and the powersource is on top of the CPU, and centimeters from the drives, so installing MEM/new drives was nearly impossible before i realized the PSU is easily removable :D

the next case i'm getting will be godsend to me and my fingers

If you're on a tight budget, then I'd recommend going with the 2.4C P-4, Abit IS7 mobo, and a pair of 256 meg Buffalo PC3700 RAM. Should make 3.2 gig easy even with stock cooling. Perhaps up to 3.4 gig with a little better cooling. Can't put together a good overclocking P-4 rig much cheaper than this setup. The 2.4C will have high FSB and with the PC3700, you can use the 5:4 memory ratio for more memory bandwidth. Great performance for the price.

I would only get a 3.0 if you were planing on using extreme cooling like phase-change. I think the best I've seen a 3.0C do an air was 3.5GHz. That's only a 234MHz fsb.

Go with a 2.4C or a 2.6C.

Back