• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much can i O/C without new cooling units?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geezus

i've got a duron 700 192mb 133 ram and have been getting pretty excited about being able to overclock to 950 mhz but i dont want to spend any money (read: i dont want to buy cooling unit). Would i only need more cooling if i raised voltage (i've heard people running at 900 mhz without having to raise voltage above 1.5)? I've decided overclocking with a pencil and closing/opening L3, L4 and L6 because my bios lets me do nothing at all (no fsb or voltage calibration and no multiplier settings). My motherboard is useless...
Basically, how much can i O/C without replacing factory cooling units and how can i close/open these copper bridges for no cost and with ordinary tools...

I am new to O/Cing also and I want to impart some of the short experience I have.
You wont get too far without some kind of plan to get rid of the heat you will be generating. Just adjusting the voltage isn't going to do it. From the time I started reading these postings I found myself buying a new HSF which got me a little further down the road. Within 2 weeks I had a water cooling system on the way.
One other thing I can pass on to you is Read, Read, Read everything you can find from as many different sources as possible before you do anything with your CPU. So far I have been very lucky in my journey and have had some good guidance from these guys here in the forum. I hope your experience is as good.

I can feel your pain about those bridges... I got frustrated with just the multiplier lock. You should definitely consider buying a good mobo, because you'll be opening and closing those bridges for a small eternity... Get one with the KT133A chipset, or KT133E which seems to be okay, altough it doesn't officially support 133 FSB.

geezus (Apr 22, 2001 11:50 p.m.):
i've got a duron 700 192mb 133 ram and have been getting pretty excited about being able to overclock to 950 mhz but i dont want to spend any money (read: i dont want to buy cooling unit). Would i only need more cooling if i raised voltage (i've heard people running at 900 mhz without having to raise voltage above 1.5)? I've decided overclocking with a pencil and closing/opening L3, L4 and L6 because my bios lets me do nothing at all (no fsb or voltage calibration and no multiplier settings). My motherboard is useless...
Basically, how much can i O/C without replacing factory cooling units and how can i close/open these copper bridges for no cost and with ordinary tools...

What are your current temperatures? How are you overclocking now? (FSB or Multiplier, or both?) What is your Vcore at? What kind of hsf are you using? We all really need to know these things before we can help you much. Fill us in a little bit, and we'll see what we can do, alright?

I agree with Oni.

Just here for some comic relief.

Beautifull day here in N.Y.C. What am I doing indoors?

First i would like to thank everyone for the help so far...Now on to answering questions, My fan and heatsink are stock (my heatsink's side profile looks like a bar code using parallel sheets of aluminum, which i assume is much more inefficient than heatsinks with "poles" to perform convection because of surface area ratio), that must not help. In regards to temperatures i understand much above 50-55 c is dangerous but i cannot access that information. As earlier stated i cannot access fsb settings, temperature, voltage or multiplier settings through my BIOS (or anything else for that matter). Thats why i want to work directly on the processor. I have heard about new boards with dip switches and softBIOS software but buying a new moboard would negate overclocking at all because i could just buy an upgraded chip for that price. I have never done this before and am obnviously desperate for suggestions.

Back