• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

c02, n02

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Has anyone tried c02 cooling or nitrous oxide cooling before? It would be interesting to set up a system that uses c02 cartridges that will operate for quite some time, with a buffer system to cool when you need to replace cartridges. Might also find a way for a closed circuit system.

"Operate for quite some time"... well, kinda depends on how a big cartridge you'll fit. A 4 inch(long) cartridge for home soda siphons would be good for maybe 1-2 minutes of cooling.

Many has experimented with dry-ice, frozen co2, with good results, except that it runs out eventually.

You'll need a heck of a compressor to recycle co2 in a closed loop.

Regarding nitreous oxide, I'm no chemical expert, but does NO2 really exist as a stabile chemical?
I know there is N2O which is used as a additive to enhance engine performance(to use a mild expression). I belive that the substance is highly dangerous for home use. One just might break out in uncontrollable laughter when something goes wrong :) or just explode and die. :eek:

There is also liquid nitrogen which is also used by heavily addicted overclockers. Quite expensive in the long run, quite dangerous for the cpu, it might crack the core.

Last edited:
Moved to extreem cooling where it'll be more likely to be seen by everyone who's had experience in this kind of thing.

N2O, or Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a weak anaesthetic gas that has been in use since the late 18th century. Common use includes both surgical and recreational purposes. Most people have experienced nitrous in the context of dentistry. Nitrous is also used in the dairy industry as a mixing and foaming agent as it is non-flammable, bacteriostatic (stops bacteria from growing) and leaves no taste or odour. Nitrous is also used in auto racing to speed engines. Nitrous is even used in diving to prepare divers for nitrous-like effects.
Melting Point -90.9
Boiling Point -88.6
if u are going to go threw all that u should just go for somthing colder or cheaper
if u were to use N2O then u would have to vent it to out side as u would pass out when it boiled then if u had enuff of it u would stop breathing.
as for c02 it also displaces O2 and u would not be able to breath if u had enuff of it. But let me know what u deside to do

N02 is non volatile by itself. If its mixed with fuel, then it becomes very combustible. Its very easy to get, and generally runs about $30 usd per 10lbs at a speed shop. I used to run it in my old car. The stuff you buy at a shop differs from medical grade nitrous. It does not get you high nor make you laugh. But it can easily freeze your face off. Yes, I'd have to vent it out the window, or find a way to recompress.

well. that doesnt make sense. cause when they inject no2 in a car, it doesnt mix with the fuel.
all it does is spray out and mix with oxygen at the intake and thus cool the air, and cooler air is more efficent when mixed with gas later in the engine process.

Tyranos: Are you sure it's called NO2? the Racing Nitreous oxide?

If it is, well, then it differs from N2O, which probably is "Laughing Gas"

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the (racing car)Nitreous Oxide is added (with a spacer) just between manifold and carburetor, during compression within the cylinder it is probably converted to something much more violatile, like nitro methane (CH3NO2) and the fact that it is cold and expands aswell.

No, I just typo'd it. Anyway, just look it up. Nitrous is mixed with fuel. There are different types of systems, sure, but it HAS to be mixed with fuel to become volatile. When they inject n02 in a car, it either mixes with fuel at a nozzle connected to the intake manifold from the fuel and nitrous solenoids "wet system" , or nitrous is injected "dry" by itself, but mixes with fuel from the fuel injectors inside the engine (with more fuel added from supplemental fuel system).

Nitrous oxide REPLACES normal air because nitrous is almost like a perfect atmosphere for the engine to breath. Think of when it was used first. In ww2, they used "war time power" to give the planes more hp because of the lack of air at those elevations.

Its not that cool air mixes better with fuel or whatever, its that cooler air is denser, thus more is pulled on the intake stroke. Also, when it is heated to 520 f, it breaks down and releases more oxygen. More oxygen= more fuel (proper a/f mixture ) = more power. The presence of more oxygen lets the fuel burn more rapidly. The more fuel it burns in the same amount of time results in higher cylinder compression. That is the main source of the power. Just like if you raised compression on your engine, it would also gain horsepower.

As compressed nitrous oxide is injected into the manifold, and boils creating temperatures of - 127 f. That cools the air that isn't introduced by the nitrous oxide itself, allowing more of it to enter the combustion chamber. You could call n02 "super air" for cars.

Last edited:
Back