• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An idea!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Has anyone who is a serious member of these forums and a serious overclocker ever toyed with the idea of making a communal PC (i.e. funded by more than one person) with the goal of being the fastest PC on Earth? Obviously, since you could go crazy, certain guidelines would have to be set, like single processor, non-server boards, etc.. The location for such a beast would probably be where there is a higher concentration of us, and by "us" I mean the overclockers that border on completely insane. A goal of having the highest FPS, highest 3DMark, highest benchmark scores in everything. Categories could also be split up into "one-time benchmark" and "stable everyday use". Extreme cooling, voltage modding, and careful product selection would all be parts of it. And since it's communally funded, no one person has to foot a huge bill. You could then say you are part of the "team" that built the fastest PC on Earth.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm bored at work and this is what happens when I get bored. But I do think it's a cool idea, if it has serious backing. All I can say is -- I'm in!

Who gets dibs on game playing time?

This really seems like the goal of a lot of individuals. Most people play at that by making rules like 'fastest PC for x $$$'. Besides, this is the USA, the home of individualism. MINE is faster than YOURS and such. Of course, mine really isn't faster than many but you get the idea.

Who knows, maybe you'll start something here.

edit: I can feel the heat of the flames to come.:mad: (This is what happens when I am bored at work :D )

tycanadian said:
Has anyone who is a serious member of these forums and a serious overclocker ever toyed with the idea of making a communal PC (i.e. funded by more than one person) with the goal of being the fastest PC on Earth?

Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist party?
:) J/K

I think its a cool idea, but i doubt you could get many people to fork over their hard earned cash to build a super-pc that they will likely never use or even get to see. Like don256us said, we are too individualistic to accomplish something like that

I just had an idea that could support the forums somewhat.
Instead of one poweful machine, have a processing farm of our old machines. We could hook them up as a network for folding@home to do some good. There could also be one uber machine that tries to break records.
I know people wish to use processing power, but do you really need that old Pentium in your closet with the outdated mobo.
This could be set at the home of OC forums, wherever that is anyways :D.
The forums could gain some fame with people donating to a good cause, and maybe attracting advertisers.
I know the power costs would be high, but I still want to hear if I'm just getting too strange for my own good.

Please tell if I'm being naive?

All are good ideas, we just need someone "high up" in the forums to tell us we're not insane and maybe something will happen!

Instead of one poweful machine, have a processing farm of our old machines. We could hook them up as a network for folding@home to do some good.
This is a nice idea. The fact is that you only need the team number for the overclockers.com folding team. But instead of having all of these old machines in one location, they would reside in our houses. I know that overclockers.com.au is team 32. I wish I knew that we had a team to join.

edit: OK I feel like an idiot. I decieded to look at it more. Overclockers.com is team 32. They have a seti team and a 3Dmark team also. I think that I will join the folding team soon. I have one machine to use and later I will have two.

Last edited:
if we had a v=centralised farm, it seems it would be easier to gather attention, with havinlike 20 ghz somewhere centralised just folding. i would think that the media would see it and get a story on the news and get more people folding.

My point exactly, and I think the amount would be a LOT more than 20ghz, but the problem is power and space. Of course having no screens saves a lot of power. I think if people pay for the power for folding@home, they are willing to donate a little for powering the farm. There could also be donations from outside the forums if we ask for it.

These are all excellent ideas...I wonder how we can determine where a good "central" location is...

I'd say some place close to where lots of the most active members live. Publicity is an excellent thing though. If we got some publicity out of this and could make Team 32 more famous, we'd be climbing the ranks faster!!!

P.S. Does anyone know if we're growing faster/catching up to Overclockers Australia?

Location? Where there is space and where power is cheaper, but most liekly U.S. or U.K.

Back