• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Athlon Thunderbird Socket A 700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seventhlost

I started overclocking my processor last week. I was able to get 850 Mhz without using the default core voltage (no change). However, I was unable to get 900 Mhz and stability at the same time. At 850 Mhz, my CPU ran at 35 degrees Celcius idle and 38.8 degrees Celcius under a full CPU load (United Devices). My computer ran perfectly fine at 850 Mhz all last week. It never crashed once, the temperature stayed mostly the same. Today, I tried to overclock to 900 Mhz. I got 900 Mhz, but I had to bump the voltage to 1.89. The system has been stable for the last two hours. Under a full CPU load the CPU temperature is 44.9 degrees Celcius and the motherboard temperature is 35 degrees Celcius. First of all, are these settings safe? I am trying to burn in the chip, after a few days of 24 hour full CPU load, I plan to decrease the voltage until the comptuer boots up OK. Note, I am only using two fans to cool my system. A GlobalWin CPU cooler (not sure about the model, but it has a huge aluminum heatsink) and the exhaust fan on the powersupply. That is it, no other fans in my system. I plan to add a chasis fan. Any comments? I realize that this will probably shorten the CPU's life, but by the time it dies, the heatsink/fan will be worth more than the CPU itself.

Quite safe. Overclocking is never very safe, and it tends to void the warranty.

What are you using for loading the CPU?
Personally, I use Prime95 in Torture Mode, SiSoft Sandra Burn In-module and on top of that, 3dMark2k1. All running at the same time.

Your temps are in an acceptable range, altough someone might claim otherwise. I'm not taking the MHz in to account in this, as I don't think you should look how much you have gained, when you are checking the temps.

Happy OC'ing!

Thats really not too bad temps. Deffinatly get the extra case fans though as your motherboard temps are high unless your living in arizona. Cooling it down will also allow you to drop the voltage wich will cool it down some more too. Funny how that works.

sorry I had a reply but then noticed after I wrote it, it was socket vs slot. I just saw the 700 and forgot they made a socket for that speed.

Why don´t you add some case fans..It won´t you cost to much, and you can even get used fans from e-bay for quite low prices
This will perhaps grant you some higher speeds..of course at the cost of higher noise

Seventhlost (Apr 25, 2001 12:26 a.m.):
I started overclocking my processor last week. I was able to get 850 Mhz without using the default core voltage (no change). However, I was unable to get 900 Mhz and stability at the same time. At 850 Mhz, my CPU ran at 35 degrees Celcius idle and 38.8 degrees Celcius under a full CPU load (United Devices). My computer ran perfectly fine at 850 Mhz all last week. It never crashed once, the temperature stayed mostly the same. Today, I tried to overclock to 900 Mhz. I got 900 Mhz, but I had to bump the voltage to 1.89. The system has been stable for the last two hours. Under a full CPU load the CPU temperature is 44.9 degrees Celcius and the motherboard temperature is 35 degrees Celcius. First of all, are these settings safe? I am trying to burn in the chip, after a few days of 24 hour full CPU load, I plan to decrease the voltage until the comptuer boots up OK. Note, I am only using two fans to cool my system. A GlobalWin CPU cooler (not sure about the model, but it has a huge aluminum heatsink) and the exhaust fan on the powersupply. That is it, no other fans in my system. I plan to add a chasis fan. Any comments? I realize that this will probably shorten the CPU's life, but by the time it dies, the heatsink/fan will be worth more than the CPU itself.

You could use better cooling but you're not in danger.

You need permission to post your link. Please remove it until then.

Back