• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funky K7D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtc4u

I swear my K7D was a monday board. Aside from the multiplier funkyness i have with it now its pimp slapped me once again. I'm trying to get my 1700 chips over 2.0 Ghz but its proving impossible. I know they can singly but as soon as i put the second CPU in the board they crap out. But even that's not my issue right now. I got it stable at [email protected]. I went to try 14x150 and it went bezerk. After setting the fsb to 150 in the bios it rebooted but wouldn't post. Ok no problem just turn it off wait 10 seconds and turn it back on right? wrong. Turned it on and it would not post again and it seemed to get stuck looping the first boot step. Ok i'll just shut it off again. Turned it off and my power LEDs would not turn off. I'm thinking oh great fried my board. Unplugged it and the LEDs finally turned off after 30 seconds of having nothing plugged in. Plugged it back in and let it sit for a few minutes. Hit the power button again and still no post and looping. Shut it down, unplugged it and waited for the LEDs to turn off. Opened the case and cleared the CMOS. Went to power up and still no post and looping first boot step. cleared the CMOS a second time and hit the power buttong. after 20 seconds of watching my lights flicker from the boot loop it beeped and posted into BIOS. Whew!!. Now what the hell is going on with this board.

I'm seriously thinking about RMAing this thing this time. I was going to RMA it awhile back because it cannot cold boot at the BIOS set multiplier. Now im thinking about sending it back to see if I can get a wednesday board. If you own a car and are up with the whole monday wednesday friday car joke you know what i mean. Confused?? cus i sure as hell am this board has had me turned inside and out tryin to figure it out.

Weee :bang head

Cmc has gotten quite a few PMs from me on my issues with this board in the past. I've used all of his mem timing suggestions. I use Samsung PC2700 non reg ram.

I cannot use the BIOS to set a multiplier lower that 12. It defaults to 12.5. Set it on Auto and it works as expected. My Vcore is unstable as hell. I set for 1.750 and i get ranges fome 1.8 to as low as 1.55.

ho hum time for me to start saving towards an opteron system i guess.

Do you have a more powerful PS to try out, say 450w to 550w? That underpowered PS might not be able to supply enough amperage to maintain your vcore on that duallie. You may boot but that doesn't mean it's fully stable under stressed conditions like overclocking.

Audioaficionado is absolutely right. You need a more powerful PSU. I'm surprised you have gotten as far as this, with a 350 watt PSU. I tried an Antec 350 on a K7D once and the system wouldn't even post with it.

As far as the multiplier goes, you do know that if you are using any multiplier over 12.5, then you HAVE to leave the multi set at Auto in the BIOS, or the system won't boot at all. Some boards have managed to have partially working multi's, despite CPU's over 12.5X, but it is a random occurrence and won't work the same way twice, most of the time.

In the meantime, you can try one more thing. Shut down, unplug the PSU, clear the CMOS, and try setting the FSB jumper on 100. This might help, although I think the real issue, here, is your power supply.

As far as the multiplier goes, you do know that if you are using any multiplier over 12.5, then you HAVE to leave the multi set at Auto

Yup yup. The multiplier issues i have have been with me for as long as i've had this board. When i was running these 1700+s at 12.5 when i would do a reboot or boot up i had to boot into BIOS because it would start up at default multi everytime. I didn't have to change any BIOS setting all i had to do was save and exit. It would then boot properly at 12.5x150. Now i changed my multiplier to 14 and keep the setting on Auto and haven't had any problems besides what was stated above. I'm gonna head out to best buy or someplace and get a High wattage PSU later this week.

i definitely think you need more power...the antec 350's are not the true power series and are not that great...(not bad either---but no where near enough power for a dual AMD)...

i think you need a minimum of a GOOD 400 watt psu...and if you want to get it at bestbuy or something....then get the antec true 480....then you can be sure the power supply is not the issue...

Well I bought a Antec true power 550. Still exhibits the same behavior. :( I will say this tho my voltages are now rock solid. My CD-Rom even spools up to full speed again. heh.

Your hardware combination just may not be able to support the 150fsb maximum available in the BIOS.

I can't get my Abit NF7-S past 215fsb/2260 eventhough I have identical hardware that others are getting over 230fsb/2500. Often its the luck of the draw which CPUs will scream and which ones just squak. Same goes for any component.

Keep trying though...

I've ran at 150 before. I was running 12.5x150 for over 2 months. hrrrmm. Maybe I should step back to a multi of 13 instead of 14 and try to up it again. I gotta reseat my heatsinks anyways. I've ran 15x150 with a pair of XP 1700s 0312 DUT3C JIUHB chips. Goofed one so I bought 2 new ones and got 0324 DLT3C JIUHB chips. Haven't gotten past the 2 Gig mark stable yet. musta just got poor performers.

Or just one of them is the sluggard. Try taking the leftover 0312 and swapping it out with one of the 0324s and push 'em to the limit. If it's still no good, then swap the 0324s and try again.

Was playing around with Prime95 last night and seeing what I could do. One thing i noticed that is wierd is when one fails the other doesn't. Normally when I run Prime I have the Affinity set. I start CPU 0 first and CPU 1 second. CPU 1 fails and CPU 0 keeps going without a problem. Heres the catch. If I start CPU 1 first and CPU 0 second CPU 0 Fails and CPU 1 continues without problem. Wassup wit dat?

Looks like maybe your pair of XP->MPs just isn't able to consistanly run SMP. Try to get two more with a differant stepping/date code.

Back