• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funky K7D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think it is an SMP compatibility thing. I think they just aren't the fantastic overclockers that you want them to be. You might just have to settle for 1900-1950 MHz.

That's why I'd go the XP->MP2400 route. At least you'd get 2GHz out of 'em at stock speed. Barton 2500s are getting pretty cheap too.

heh I'll wait awhile before buying anything else for my system. I'm working up a shopping list for water cooling so i can finally run my system 24/7 without aggrivating my girlfriend. Maybe next year. Thanks for all the insight guys.

Xtc4u said:
I'm trying to get my 1700 chips over 2.0 Ghz but its proving impossible. I know they can singly but as soon as i put the second CPU in the board they crap out.
What exactly happens? Do you get a lock-up with both CPUs installed?

I can only get to about 2032 Mhz with them in dual but singly I can get over 2.4 Ghz. When I put both in I have to bump the Vcore up to get em to run in dual and I can't get to 14x150 because when I bump the Vcore to 1.85 my computer doesn't even boot. Im guessin I hit the limit of these chips in MP mode.

Sounds like you hit their limit.

It is normal for chips to overclock higher in single-CPU environments. It happens every time.

Re: Re: Funky K7D

ZaP37 said:
Do you get a lock-up with both CPUs installed?
I ask again only because some K7Ds have a flaw in their power-delivery circuitry that causes them to lock up with Thoroughbred B and Barton CPUs starting around '2400+' speed (as these CPUs draw more current than Palominos and Tbred As). If you get lock-ups around 2032 MHz -- but can run each CPU substantially higher than this in single mode/another motherboard -- you're probably suffering from this design flaw.

Re: Re: Re: Funky K7D

ZaP37 said:

I ask again only because some K7Ds have a flaw in their power-delivery circuitry that causes them to lock up with Thoroughbred B and Barton CPUs starting around '2400+' speed (as these CPUs draw more current than Palominos and Tbred As). If you get lock-ups around 2032 MHz -- but can run each CPU substantially higher than this in single mode/another motherboard -- you're probably suffering from this design flaw.

Was it the old style green or newer red PCBs?

Re: Re: Re: Funky K7D

ZaP37 said:

I disagree. I think his problem is that he just hit the limit of his chips. I haven't got any XP1700's over 2 GHz on a dually, either, but I've got a pair of Bartons that will do 2250 (with a lot of Vcore). You just can't expect as high of an overclock on a dually rig, as you could get on a single.

I have NEVER heard of a dually that could overclock it's chips as high as those same chips could overclock on a single-CPU platform.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Funky K7D

cmcquistion said:

I disagree. I think his problem is that he just hit the limit of his chips. I haven't got any XP1700's over 2 GHz on a dually, either, but I've got a pair of Bartons that will do 2250 (with a lot of Vcore). You just can't expect as high of an overclock on a dually rig, as you could get on a single.

I have NEVER heard of a dually that could overclock it's chips as high as those same chips could overclock on a single-CPU platform.

Do you think I'll have any problems getting my XP->MP2400s to run at the rated 2GHz @ stock vcore before I overclock them?

Audioaficionado said:

Do you think I'll have any problems getting my XP->MP2400s to run at the rated 2GHz @ stock vcore before I overclock them?

No, you won't have any problems. They WILL run at stock speed, just fine. When you overclock them, you may not be able to overclock them as high as you could in a single-CPU system, but you will be able to overclock them. They will work fine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Funky K7D

Audioaficionado said:
Was it the old style green or newer red PCBs?
Certianly red, but possibly green as well. MSI K7D Master-L 030 is one model that I know is affected, but I think I've heard people with non-L Masters having the problem too.

cmcquistion said:
I disagree. I think his problem is that he just hit the limit of his chips. I haven't got any XP1700's over 2 GHz on a dually, either, but I've got a pair of Bartons that will do 2250 (with a lot of Vcore).
The power-regulation problem can be identified by the presence of complete lock-ups during load. Did you get freezes with the 1700s? (I'm betting no because if you did, it would be impossible to run Bartons @ 2250, as they would probably use even more current than 1700s at 2GHz)

Usually when a CPU is overclocked slightly past its 'limit,' it will give Prime95 rounding errors, etc. When the power-regulation flaw is present, however, running the CPUs at 100% load causes a lock-up within a few minutes.

So basically, if he gets lock-ups, it could likely be the motherboard's problem. If the chips are simply unstable (rounding errors, BSOD, etc) then he has probably hit their limit in a dual-configuration.

See this thread for more info (and the link in my post there for even more info): http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41541

Last edited:
Im thinking i hit the limits of the chips in dual mode. I don't get any hard lockups under load. I can get 14x140 stable at 1.80 Vcore but thats it. If I bump it to 150 it won't post even at 1.85 Vcore.

The issue that ZaP37 mentioned can be real....I've had this problems with two K7D's now....The one I originally bought and the first RMA I got from the. Both boards would run true MP2000's undervolted and underclocked to 1.6V and 1.4GHz, but at stock would lock up with 100% load immediately....I was going to just put up with it after RMAing once, but the problem kept getting worse.....Anyway, I bought an ASUS board off ebay for 120 bucks, and RMAed the MSI again....The ASUS runs great! it's so nice to have a stable computer......I just thought I'd put this out there.....It does sound like your CPU's are at the limit to me too.

TLhead said:
The issue that ZaP37 mentioned can be real....I've had this problems with two K7D's now....The one I originally bought and the first RMA I got from the. Both boards would run true MP2000's undervolted and underclocked to 1.6V and 1.4GHz, but at stock would lock up with 100% load immediately....I was going to just put up with it after RMAing once, but the problem kept getting worse.....Anyway, I bought an ASUS board off ebay for 120 bucks, and RMAed the MSI again....The ASUS runs great! it's so nice to have a stable computer......I just thought I'd put this out there.....It does sound like your CPU's are at the limit to me too.

Sounds like an overheating problem. What kind of cooling were you using? What were your full-load temps at stock speed and voltage.

You actually helped me with this a while back CMC....My temps were all under 40C load stock.....I ended up replacing power supply and ram, but in the end it didn't help....I'm using all of the same components in the ASUS now and it's perfectly solid at 1750....

Back