• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp the same loaded/unloaded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike734

Registered
My cpu temp is about 43 at the windows desktop with nothing running. How can I check it when running a d3d game to see if it is getting too high? When I quit the game and immediately check the temp, it is still 43. I have even run Sandra's burn in test and the temp monitor at the same time and see no increase in temp. I wonder about all the reports I see where people have say 30 at idle and 45 loaded. What am I doing wrong?

try downloading motherboard monitor, and then set it to log your temps at an interval of xx minutes.. play your game for a coupla hours and then view the log. it'll show you just what happened to your temp during the course of the game.

as for the 30 idle, 45 load business, my idle and load temps are seperated by all of 2c or 3c. i don't get a huge fluctuation like some people. make sure you have good airflow through your case, and see what happens to your temps. but the starting point is as described above, so you know if your loads temps are okay, or too high.

good luck! :)

Mike734 (May 02, 2001 10:36 a.m.):
My cpu temp is about 43 at the windows desktop with nothing running. How can I check it when running a d3d game to see if it is getting too high? When I quit the game and immediately check the temp, it is still 43. I have even run Sandra's burn in test and the temp monitor at the same time and see no increase in temp. I wonder about all the reports I see where people have say 30 at idle and 45 loaded. What am I doing wrong?

Also check to see if register 52 is set to eb or ec. If not, you motherboard will not be able to idle your chip and you will have very little flucuation in temp. You should downloard WPCREDIT to check.

DE (May 03, 2001 02:53 a.m.):

Also check to see if register 52 is set to eb or ec. If not, you motherboard will not be able to idle your chip and you will have very little flucuation in temp. You should downloard WPCREDIT to check.

This, of course, would assume that you have a Via KT* board. And also assuming you wouldn't rather be crunching SETI than wasting cpu cycles.

Huh. I've never heard of register 52 and that wpcredit and I thought I knew more about this stuff. For the record I have a:

AOpen AK73-1394(A) MB
256 kingmax PC 150 ram
Asus V7700 Vcard
SB Live!!!!
T-bird 750 running at 7.5 x 130.
Vantec HS with a slower (quieter) 4000 rpm fan

PS thanks for the info on that program to run and log my temps. When I get back from my trip I will try it.

We should start a new thread about this subject I just don't have enough experience with H.Oda's programs. Maybe Ed or somebody could do a write up on the front page giving all the details/results.

if you're on about the wcpredit and wcprset, then search for those words and 52, and you'll get a bunch of stuff right here. there was a thread a week or two ago, or maybe even three :), about that register 52 business, which got it all started. and that came from an article on some tech site.. not sure which one though. search and ye shall find!

personally, it didn't do anything for me!

Yeah I don't think thats to abnormal though.

It is much better to have a cpu running a little hot but keeping fluctuations low rather than to have a cpu which is cooler fluctuating a lot. This is because of the materials used expanding and retracting.

I've got mine doing the same now with my new setup. My Temps fluctuate by 2-3°C at the most after 10mins of a cold boot.

1.1Ghz Locked AMD TB (100x11.0) (SThermoEngine 38cfm cpu fan)
ABit KT7 Mobo (Latest BIOS)
Creative GTS2 32Mb (6.31 drivers)
256Mb PC133 Generic SDRAM (2x128Mb 3-3-3)
45Gb 7,200rpm IBM Deskstar HDD
52x Creative CD-ROM
Creative SB Live! Platinum
3Com 10/100 Network Card
Dynamode V90 Modem
250w SUNTEK power supply
3 System Fans
Idle Temp 32°C ... Max Temp 34°C

Thelemac (May 03, 2001 03:13 a.m.):
DE (May 03, 2001 02:53 a.m.):

This, of course, would assume that you have a Via KT* board. And also assuming you wouldn't rather be crunching SETI than wasting cpu cycles.

True good point! I guess I assume eeveryone is running that board these days. He was asking why some people have high flucuations and he didn't. Not everyone runs Seti for fun.

el (May 03, 2001 02:23 p.m.):
We should start a new thread about this subject I just don't have enough experience with H.Oda's programs. Maybe Ed or somebody could do a write up on the front page giving all the details/results.

Back