• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Idle temps higher after Win11 22H3 Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

This is a weird situation I'm facing here. All that has changed is updated Win11 from 22H2 to 23H2. Temp inside room hasn't changed either. Went from Idles 38-43 and now sit at about 49-53. Everything else looks ok, Cinebench r24 doesn't peak past 69-70 in either score. My undervolt is the same with curve optimizer and all other Bios settings are all as before. Anyone seen this kind of behavior before? Thanks

Attachments

• Cinebench R24.jpg
    Cinebench R24.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Power plan different? What's your idle cpu %? What's active or more active now?

I dont have 23h2 yet so I can't compare but will keep an eye out.

Nothing has change as per power plan. Idle is is about 1 to 2%, not a thing running. It's been 2 days since I did the windows update. I'm gonna go back to another earlier image and investigate further.

I noticed that MS wants to force people to use MS accounts even more. In the latest Win11 update, the tray icon and visible shortcuts to Windows Defender don't work if you have a local account - there is info to log onto an MS account to use it ... it still works from deeper hidden tabs or search options. I usually don't care much about it, but it works in the background and can still lock some files recognized as suspicious.

Either way, I can't confirm it works at higher temps as I couldn't compare it with anything. I installed a new 14700K CPU and already updated the test OS to the latest version ... it runs hot like the average in mixed load tests is maybe ~80°C, but for some reason, AIDA64 reports it's at the edge of throttling when I run only memory+cache test. The red info sign shows throttling 0%, so something is acting weird, or my new CPU runs so hot by itself.

It is possible as the temp line on the graph is around 70-80°C. I also have single-channel mode in RAM benchmark while bandwidth is clearly as high as for dual-channel. I mentioned it before and reported it to my AIDA64 contact, but there was no reply as to why it's acting like this. Since then, there have been two updates, as I remember, but it didn't change anything. It's also possible that something is wrong with my AIDA64 installation or the OS, but it was the same on 13700K and 14700K (before and after the OS update). You will see both cases in the next RAM review ;)

So going back and forth between images didn't fix my problem. I am relying on Tctl/Tdie from HWinfo which I've always used. Those temps on good days used to show 38° but averaged about 43 degrees idle. Now show 48-51° idle. I uninstalled HWinfo to see if that was the problem, but unfortunately not. Now I wonder what sensor is faulty all of a sudden to show the slight increase in temps. My CPU CCD1/CCD2 still show my normal temps of 28-30° idle as before. My stress testing of Cinebench24 and OCCT still average 70° max, so I am not worried its overheating. Prime95, which is probably obsolete still maxes out at 84° as before on a blend test. No throttling on any testing. Really odd though.

I have noticed that under windows 11, if google Chrome is open but I am not using it, the cpu temps will be up 5-10 degrees at times. I have the cpu activity gadget displayed and I noticed that there is some kind of activity going on in the back ground when Google Chrome is open. It comes and goes and you can see it on task manager also. It was probably that way under windows 10 but I don't have any windows 10 PC's to test at this time..

So I decided to do a clean windows of 23H2 and what do you know, my tenps are back to normal.

Attachments

• 20231111_214546.jpg
    20231111_214546.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 1
Back