• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell charged me fraudulently...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree as well while it might say on the actual coupon (probably in the fine text that most people can't read anyways) that it should not of been allowed to activate on the site. Thats is actual BS expecially for a check out purpose and then later finding out you've been charged that you would of only been charge with a few bucks on the tax.

You got something glad they helped you out in the end. As well I'm the same way I hate phone calls, while yes its personal, I don't have any record when I'm talking with them besides that yes I was on the phone for X amount of time, but half the time the rep on the other end is from a different country and I can't understand a thing 75% of the time.

I'm sure somewhere it stated that the item must be over the price of the coupon.

Retailers often rely on loopholes they create to take advantage of the customer.

It's that famous "Oh, you didn't see it in the terms of service?" BS. Just because it's in a TOS doesn't make it legal, especially when the TOS is often easily modified because it's text on a website. I've been through this before with other companies and they never win because they KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE but count on either frustrating the customer into submission or ignoring the customer (forcing legal action). The bottom line is that Dell could very well have left the coupon active for orders under $25 knowing people would use it, and then hit them with the full charge later knowing many would either never notice or choose not to wait 2 hours on hold to get the issue resolved. It's an odds game, and more often than not the consumer loses.

Last edited:
Glad dell fixed their mess up. If it's not a valid coupon then it shouldn't have been accepted.

If something like that happened in a retail store they wouldn't charge you after you check out cause it is their screw up that allowed the use of the coupon.

This is the email I received with my Dell coupon:

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care.

We were sorry to learn of your unsatisfactory experience. Per your recent communication with Dell Customer Care, attached below is the coupon concession we agreed to send you to thank you for being a valued customer.

The value of your concession coupon is: $25.

Your concession coupon code is: (nice try).

This concession is for the order number: xxxxxxxxx.

Coupon Expires 03/30/2008 at Midnight EST.

Once again, we regret the experience you've had. We look forward to earning your business again, and thank you for choosing Dell.

How to Redeem this coupon Online?
---------------------------------
- Add the items that you want to purchase to the shopping cart
- Enter the Coupon Code in the text box located below the items in your shopping cart
- Click on apply coupon
- Your Coupon discount should show up on the discounts line, under the Sub-Total.
- If you do not see this subtraction then DO NOT order and contact the issuer of the coupon for further assistance. Please contact Dell Customer Care at 1-800-624-9897.

Validity of the Coupon:
-----------------------
1. Coupon valid only for online purchases
2. This coupon is valid for purchases from U.S. Dell Home and Home office's online store only
3. Coupon is valid for one (1) online order only at (http://www.dell4me.com/) and is not valid through a telephone representative
4. Coupon cannot be applied if the order amount is less than the Coupon dollar value before Shipping and Tax
(Example: If your coupon is for $25.00, then your subtotal before tax and shipping must be $25.01 or more).
5. Coupon is good with select other offers but cannot be combined with any other concession coupons.

Terms of offer may be withdrawn or changed with out notice. Dell cannot be responsible for errors, omissions and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors. If you use this coupon and then cancel the order or return the item, then this coupon is no longer valid and the equivalent dollar value of the coupon will not be refunded and the coupon will no longer be valid. Coupon holds no cash value. This coupon cannot be transferred and is not for resale in any form including online auctions. One coupon per order number. Only one concession coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupons are non-stackable.

However, Dell should never have sent you a receipt stating that it accepted the coupon in the first place. No doubt, you were charged the $24.99 + TAX because you didn't meet the $25.01 threshold.

Glad you are happy with your ripping off of Dell. I hope the Karma gods pay you back on your next RMA.

Dell tried to rip me off, how do you get off posting around that people are ripping companies off. Don't you have something better to do with your life? :mad:

I would have had no issue giving the game back I told them it hadn't been activated. This was about 75% their fault. I guess I should have clicked and looked at the fine print so 25% fault for me.

Dell tried to rip me off, how do you get off posting around that people are ripping companies off. Don't you have something better to do with your life? :mad:

I would have had no issue giving the game back I told them it hadn't been activated. This was about 75% their fault. I guess I should have clicked and looked at the fine print so 25% fault for me.

edited by cw823

Last edited by a moderator:
Just file a chargeback with your CC company. It looks to me like you have good documentation to fight any charge--of course it looks like they're making it right, so you don't need to do that.

I just wanted to point out..

That manager said "No company can process a 0 dollar order" is completely incorrect.
Microsoft does it.

Nathan, you were first to be rude when you said (in the chat) that Dell support has been lacking lately, so I fail to see how they dealt with you inappropriately? You started down that road then complain when you FEEL they are less than helpful?

These threads happen alot. People blow up at vendors, make pointed and insulting remarks, then complain that they are dealt with unfairly.

Fact of the matter is we all tend to treat people how they treat us.

I fail to see the whole point of this thread, you certainly were not "fraudulently charged", it was a simple, $25 mistake. I wish I could have paid someone $25 so I never had to see this thread.

Oh, and that email address you used is public, so anyone can and will see that....enjoy more spam!

It wasn't a mistake because the original rep and supervisor thought it was right for it to happen. Thankfully I got a rep with some brains the second time around who knew how to treat customers properly. Eitherway this is resolved now.

Nathan, you were first to be rude when you said (in the chat) that Dell support has been lacking lately, so I fail to see how they dealt with you inappropriately? You started down that road then complain when you FEEL they are less than helpful?

These threads happen alot. People blow up at vendors, make pointed and insulting remarks, then complain that they are dealt with unfairly.

Fact of the matter is we all tend to treat people how they treat us.

I fail to see the whole point of this thread, you certainly were not "fraudulently charged", it was a simple, $25 mistake. I wish I could have paid someone $25 so I never had to see this thread.

Oh, and that email address you used is public, so anyone can and will see that....enjoy more spam!

I think the lesson here is 'read the terms of coupons/deals and if it seems too good to be true read them again.'

A second lesson is don't jump down CSR's throats with 'bad customer service' and 'legal action' lines. All that does is make people defensive and upset rather than helpful. You get more flies with honey :) I have worked in call centers and I know I was far less likely to make lenient changes which were purely optional on my part but technically not required if the person came off like an a*hole to me.

I just wanted to point out..

That manager said "No company can process a 0 dollar order" is completely incorrect.
Microsoft does it.

Correct, we do it at work too. It seems only some versions of quickbooks has this issue :bang head.

This makes it difficult when someone wants to "buy back" their consignments (products received into inventory at no cost and then paid for when sold) from our inventory at work lol.

It wasn't a mistake because the original rep and supervisor thought it was right for it to happen. Thankfully I got a rep with some brains the second time around who knew how to treat customers properly. Eitherway this is resolved now.

:rolleyes:

All that does is make people defensive and upset rather than helpful.

Worse, in some cases they're not allowed to even talk to you further if you mention taking legal action.

The key issue here (that's completely valid IMO) is in the Dell coupon:

How to Redeem this coupon Online?
---------------------------------
- Add the items that you want to purchase to the shopping cart
- Enter the Coupon Code in the text box located below the items in your shopping cart
- Click on apply coupon
- Your Coupon discount should show up on the discounts line, under the Sub-Total.

This was before any mention of dollar amount limitation, etc. So if I were to follow the instructions and have it work, I would not need to read any further than this. I would not NEED to know they're only valid for $25.01 and over orders, because it accepted the coupon. So Dell either needs to make mention of the $25.01 and over requirement before the instructions for using the coupon, or they need to fix the problem with their system accepting it. I'm still suspecting that they want it broken because it likely makes them money as I explained in my previous post.

Last edited:
Worse, in some cases they're not allowed to even talk to you further if you mention taking legal action.

The key issue here (that's completely valid IMO) is in the Dell coupon:

This was before any mention of dollar amount limitation, etc. So if I were to follow the instructions and have it work, I would not need to read any further than this. I would not NEED to know they're only valid for $25.01 and over orders, because it accepted the coupon. So Dell either needs to make mention of the $25.01 and over requirement before the instructions for using the coupon, or they need to fix the problem with their system accepting it. I'm still suspecting that they want it broken because it likely makes them money as I explained in my previous post.

I completely agree thanks for kinda seeing it from my view and putting yourself in my shoes.

Back