• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpongeySponge

Registered
Ok, I think this may be a stupid question, but I can't figure it out. My friend wants his computer to turn off by itself, without the use of the power button. As in like: start>shut down and it does the rest. My computer can do this, I cant find how to change any of it though. I looked in BIOS, nothing there, and I looked in the power options in control panel, I didnt find anything in either place.

The power off function he is looking for is built into ACPI, before i can tell you if it is possible to easily enable that i will need to at least know the year the computer was made or the specs are even better, but i especially need to know what OS he is running.

Of course the obvious thing to ask is if its ATX or AT, as AT PSU's cannot self power down as its a manual switch unlike the softswitch on an ATX PSU.

PIII 600MHz, 128 MB Ram, 16.1GB, about 4 years old, its called Monorail

anything else you need?
He also said that it would power itself off before, but he had to format his drive and it quit (the place he bought it from did the formatting, they may have done something else...?)

Look to see if power saving is enabled in the bios, if its not, enable it, that should fix it.

If its enabled and still not working give us another shout.

Back