• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can my HD be fixed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I have WD Expert 13.6 hard drive that I accidentally broke a little piece off of. It has nothing to do with the disk, it is just a little tiny piece that is soldered on there that I don't think I can re-solder myself. It has like 4 little fingers on it that must be re-attached to the HD.

I hate not to be able to use it because it is perfectly fine.

I thought I might be able to find a dead WD expert drive and fix it but don't know.

guess I need to contact WD.

MZ

Unless you really need data off the drive or know someone that can do surface mount device soldering, it'll probably be better just to replace the drive. the controller boards are easy to change, but usually hard to find and expensive. If you do try to find a drive, it needs to have matching part numbers, specifications, and usually firmware. Recently, it took 2 weeks to get a board for a failed Quantum(blown controller chip) that one of the storage guys hadn't backed up(personal drive, irony? just a bit) and we have a Quantun rep onsite.

hmm..before you throw it away if it comes down to that..just try soldering it on yourself..it can't hurt... :)

hmm..before you throw it away if it comes down to that..just try soldering it on yourself..it can't hurt...

I second that. What you need is a 1 mm thick soldering iron and you'll be set... plus some magnifier help for your eyes. I could in the past resolder some components in a surface mount pcb without problems... and believe me : I'm quite bad with the soldering iron.

BUT if you try that, I suggest using also a tester to make sure you do the connections properly.

Regards
FTC

Back