• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with an extra slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beefpops

Hi, I was wondering what I could do with an extra slot for a floppy drive. It's just sitting there, empty, and I'm sure I could do something cool with it. Just need some ideas/products to cram in there. Thanks!

if you re-post in the Alternative Modding section, i'm sure you'll get a ton of responses.

The things mentioned above are great ideas.....if you want to make a simple fan controller, you can just mount a rheostat in that slot.

Also, you can get flash memory readers that will mount to your floppy slot.....if you have a digital camera or something that can be really useful.

You could take a dremel to it. Cut out your name or something. Add a translucent covering behind the cutout and put a laser led or Cold Cathode Light to illuminate it. I've seen it done and it looks awesome. Or add an internal zip drive. :p

you could make an intergalactic transponder remote...lol...think of the posibilities....gaaaahhh....

haha, you could make it a dummy drive and make a storage compartment...i used an old cd-rom drive and have it so the door opens automatically still, i hide stuff in there...detention slips, notes, cigarettes...anything the rents don't need to know about...and they just think it is a normal drive lol

DaveSauce said:
if you re-post in the Alternative Modding section, i'm sure you'll get a ton of responses.

The things mentioned above are great ideas.....if you want to make a simple fan controller, you can just mount a rheostat in that slot.

Also, you can get flash memory readers that will mount to your floppy slot.....if you have a digital camera or something that can be really useful.

I've seen some very nice 7 in 1 readers that reads almost any flash memory format plus an usb 2.0 port in front (assuming that you have usb 2.0 in your computer)

Back