• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bubbles in one section of tubing only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humdinger

I've been reworking my kit so it is now as follows:

Eheim 1250->Dtek Heatercore (unpainted)->LRWW->old DD GPU block->back to pump (removed the res and put in a tiny t-line between the GPU block and pump inlet

Most of the tubing is now 1" OD (about 0.8"ID) since it's an external box and following suggestions from another thread, my temps are quite good now but for some reason I'm getting lots of tiny little bubbles forming in the last leg of the loop i.e. from the GPU block to the t-line, and from the t-line to the pump inlet. Nowhere else! What's going on here? I've used hose clamps everywhere and applied plenty of sealant around the connection leaving the GPU block, there don't seem to be any bubbles forming anywhere else. They are very tiny bubbles and mostly seem to be sticking to the inside of the hose!

I tested the setup outside of the computer for several hours and there appeared to be no leaks around the blocks (I had tissue paper under them, dabbed them with tissues to check for any water leaks and checked periodically, nothing showed) The only thing that leaked was my pump but I think I finally sealed that up, and the bubbles are appearing before the pump anyway... anyone have similar experience? Ideas?

There's a bit of air in water which we cannot see and it forms into bubble after some time.

With so high tubing, water flow (unless strong pump is used) wont push bubble further.

But T-line should eliminate all bubbles. It should be located in the highest point of system in this case.

The only thing you could worry about is air in water blocks, but unless they are in highest point of cycle, everything should work perfectly.

I hate to ask the noob questions, but my inquiring mind wants to know, why is air in the line a problem? Does it have anything to do with the void of displaced water that the air presents?

more air = less water
less water = worse heat removal

a few bubbles outsied block aren't dangerous but bubbles in block / rad lower efficiency

Thanks Ven0m :) I just wasn't sure if it was possible for air in the line to damage to the blocks or any other part of the system.

Well I'm still getting good temps and the t-line level hasn't disappeared so I'll just leave it for a few days and see if anything happens, thanks for the info :) I was concerned there might be some kind of leak somewhere but if this is normal then that's cool

Krall said:
Thanks Ven0m :) I just wasn't sure if it was possible for air in the line to damage to the blocks or any other part of the system.
It can damage the pumps. I can't give a full list of the hows and whys but I can say that some pumps use the water they pump to cool themselves.

would it really be that bad to have those TINY little bubbles in a system? i mean its not like they would be touching the part of any waterblock due to the fact that they rise to the top, and unless you had a few-inch section of tubing where there was no water would it really make a difference in the thermal efficiency of the system?

your key word is tiny

if its just a few tiny ones you arnt looking at a cataclysmic event . its when more than a few build up and collect in 1 of 3 places that you have problems

radiator and block reduce eficientcy and in the block can cause over heating if its really serious. in the pump it can cause vibration rattling and then chipping of the rod or a complete freezeup ( aka pump failure) in which case your screwed

ya i kno that bigger bubbles (i.e. little bubbles that collect and make bigger ones when ur system is off) can pose a problem and should be isolated ASAP... but little tiny ones arent really a problem, correct?

Back