• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

having trouble with a Soltek SL-75FRN nforce2 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt_John_Carte

Registered
Ok I had rma a bad amd 2500+ 333/ bus speed barton core running at 1.83 gz cpu back to newegg and just got a new one in.:cool: Untill I got 2500+ I was running with a 2400+ 266/ bus speed running at 2.0 giz I ran all the tests memtest and prime95 every test came back ok but the memory ran at 133 mz thats ok it was running the speed of the cpu. Once I got the new cpu back I was testing it out and it seems that it is doing the same as the old amd 2500+ I first ran a memtest and it came up with 2 errors ok not bad but the memory is about 3 months old. I then ran prime95 it said it the system is unstable so I went into cmos and changed the memory speed down to 80% of the cpu speed which brings it down to 133mz (remember the amd 2400+ that ran fine) well I ran the memtest no problems there and ran prime95 for about an hour or so no problems there either is it just me or is this messed up I would like to use the full speed of the memory but I can't . if you guys can suggest anything it would be helpful I would appreciate it. :attn:

Oh almost forgot my temps are when I fold are 43-44c on the cpu and the case temps are 32c

what kind of memory is it.....the thing is.....the problem is not the processor.....it's the ram...the difference is your fsb is running at 166 but cant handle it......did you try lossening the timings....the errors in memtest are cause by bad memory not by your MhZ on your cpu......so it could be bad memory......like I said try looseing timings:D

This is the memory I am using I was using this memory before I rma the cpu in fact I bought this memory for the speed so the cpu will have no lag when it try's to use the memory Corsair TWINX1024-2700LLPT 1GB DDR333 XMS2700 Ultra Low Latency Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail here is the web site I bought the memory from http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80060-15
the meory timing according to the site are Tested at ultra-low latency settings (2-2-2-5), command rate of 1T I will have to check the cmos and see if they are the same if you see anything more please respond and thanks.

I checked the cmos and the memory timing are the same as there were tested at as it says it was on web site I bought it from. I havn't oc the rig if it were stable at full speed I might think about it. lol :cool:

wow that is a huge bummer......lemmy get this straight....you can't get it to pass memtest at stock settings with your barton?........if thats the case.....maybe it's the mobo.....that ram looks nice....altough it could be a freek ram or motherboard......man your psu looks fine....hrm???.....ok it could be your motherboard is getting electricity conducted trhough it from touching your case........this actually happend to me....try running it out side the case....se if that helps.....if not send piece by peice back till it works....good luck :)

ive had 3 of those solteks (2 rmaed from newegg) and they all were pretty crappy. they couldnt work well in stock settings like in your problem. kinda out of topic but shuttle sucked to me too.... i really wont buy from those 2 brands anymore. the failure rate is just too high even though they do have high points.

ryuen said:
ive had 3 of those solteks (2 rmaed from newegg) and they all were pretty crappy. they couldnt work well in stock settings like in your problem.

I have 2 soltek boards and both work great, overclocking or not. Anyways, you might have to update your BIOS to get it to detect the Barton correctly. Make sure you get the BIOS update and then work from there. Good Luck!

Matt

mdcomp said:

I have 2 soltek boards and both work great, overclocking or not. Anyways, you might have to update your BIOS to get it to detect the Barton correctly. Make sure you get the BIOS update and then work from there. Good Luck!

Matt

Just thought I would let you know I already flashed the bios and even emailed tech suport and will let you know when and if they respond I hope they respond the last email they sent me was that I should increase the voltage on the memory. I tried it and it still had the same results lol :rolleyes:

Hey there guys I flashed the bios and I tried testing with memtest86 on the memory sticks one at a time. And one stick had no errors after two passes and the other stick came up with 20 errors after 3 passes and this was when I was running the speed of the cpu 166mg I have contacted corsair and have not gotten a response yet but they stand behind your products. p.s I email tech support at soltek thursday and they havn't even bothered to answer back lol that is some tech support. I did test the memory on at a time with the old cpu but who knows I was kinda tired when I was testing them so maybe I tested only one stick and got the errors and thought it was the cpu lol I know if I am really tired I should just stay away from my computer lol

Back