• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink wont clean

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

This is an aircooled TEC and the cold plate refuses to be cleaned. Cold plates are usualy solid copper so i tryed using alchol and q-tips and stuff like that but it wont clean. The black marks stay. Here is a picture

dsink.jpg

As you can see their are dark marks on their that wont go away with alchohol. It still has a mirror finish though, kinda. I can see myself in it when i look into it, just black spots get in way. What can i do?

get some goof off.be careful with it its strong.use paper towel
to clean with.if a few drops sitting on my case can eat through
3 layers clear coat,4layers of paint,and 4layers of primer.
or you can use lighter fluid.

Would taco bell fire sauce work? I have 3 packets of that lying around and i have heard it is good since it has a lot of vinegar in it. That goof off stuff sounds to strong. I dont want it to eat up my cold plate and i dont have a lighter or lighter fluid and 7/11 wont sell me one cause i am a minor.

The black spots are oxidation (copper rust) caused by fingerprints or other substances that used to be on the copper and weren't cleaned off properly. I've heard that lemon juice and salt can remove it, but I've never tried myself. I have spots like that on my SK-7's fins where I held it to lap it.

EDIT: Simul-post :)
I never use what isn't needed. Taco bell sauce has a lot of stuff in it that isn't needed. Imagine getting spices in your cold plate instead of thermal compound! If you want to use something with a lot of vinegar in it, why not just use vinegar?
Goof Off will not dissolve copper. It dissolves paint, clearcoat, and various plastics, but not metal.

Tryed lapping the block? Come on now, taco bell sauce? That would make you block hot from the burning hottness of the sauce :D

the black discoloration should not affect the cooling properties of the block. as long as proper amounts of heat sink compound is used, lapping the block won't make a difference. the compound takes up the imperceiveable gaps and cracks. but a pretty block makes everyone feel good.

Some CLR should do the trick it doesnt take but a minute if that literally and requires no scrubbing. Well thats how it is for me anyway when I clean my waterblock.

Just use some kind of ketchup. That should do the trick...I've done it before. Works every time...acutally it's not as stupid as it sounds.. :p

If you didnt get it, you just apply some ketchup on the heatsink and let it lay around about 30mins and then clean it off. Then post a pic of your heatsink and tell me ketchup can't do wonders :p hehe

Big_Baller said:
Tryed lapping the block? Come on now, taco bell sauce? That would make you block hot from the burning hottness of the sauce :D

something in the sauce makes it work i think. like ketchup works great....

Wont ketchup and taco bell sauce work the same? I jacked like 50 packets of fire sauce for no reason and i wanna do something with em so i thought it would work just as good or better than ketchup and leave my sink smelling mexicali good. It would be fine right?

Vinager is a acid. CLR is an acid also,(Sulfamic Acid ). Both are safe
If used carefuly.My $0.02 Cents worth.I use GOO OFF works great.Put about 2 drops on a soft clothe And wipe the crud off.

ketchup and fire sauce should work fine. myself, i love using toothpaste, because it leaves the entire apartment smelling minty fresh :D

be careful its not PICANTE sauce, too much solids and chunks in it to be easy enough to clean.

cheers! :)

For the most part, all of these items people have been using to clean work because of the acid in them. . .the ketsup may be a bit mild, but I'm sure with enough work, it might clean. The toothpaste works because it's an abrasive, so thats why I recommended the metal polish, because it's actually intended to clean metal, but most of these should work also. Enjoy

:) toothpaste, being made to clean TEETH is much LESS abrasive then metal polish, isnt it? :)

my worthless 2 ¢

cheers

Back